rotational grazing?

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
I have forty acres of pasture and a mix of yearling heifers, this year , and a herd of 8 cows. Totaling 27 animals. I'm wanting to use a hot fence for all the paddocks but don't know much about electric fencers. When the fencer says it is a 10 mile fencer, is that the actual 10 miles it will energize a fence or is that not it. One mile =5280ft. So, is that fencer good for 52800ft of energized fence or i suppose a little less than that or is it a total different number? Just not sure. Anyone understand this like I do or is it something different? Thanks for reading and for your input.
Have a great day!!!

MAGONZ1969":2789yur0 said:
I have forty acres of pasture and a mix of yearling heifers, this year , and a herd of 8 cows. Totaling 27 animals. I'm wanting to use a hot fence for all the paddocks but don't know much about electric fencers. When the fencer says it is a 10 mile fencer, is that the actual 10 miles it will energize a fence or is that not it. One mile =5280ft. So, is that fencer good for 52800ft of energized fence or i suppose a little less than that or is it a total different number? Just not sure. Anyone understand this like I do or is it something different? Thanks for reading and for your input.
Have a great day!!!
The way I understand it is......10 miles of single strand or 5 miles of 2 strands or 2 miles of 5 strands or any combination thereof.

Always go with the fencer with the maximum number of miles you can afford. The mileage the manufacturer states is the best case number, real life is often less.
Aprille

aprille218":1h1giyvr said:
Always go with the fencer with the maximum number of miles you can afford. The mileage the manufacturer states is the best case number, real life is often less.
Aprille
Yep

You are correct in thinking 52,800 feet. That means single strand. For your 40 acres that "10 mile" fencer should be sufficient. But if you have lots of brush against your fence it will draw the electricity down. A "clean" fence is the only way you get what the manufacturer claims on the box. Use 2 or 3 long ground rods as well. 6' long and pound them in so there's only 6-12" showing. It's a job, but worth it for good performance of an electric fence.

purecountry":1ffxfjv5 said:
You are correct in thinking 52,800 feet. That means single strand. For your 40 acres that "10 mile" fencer should be sufficient. But if you have lots of brush against your fence it will draw the electricity down. A "clean" fence is the only way you get what the manufacturer claims on the box. Use 2 or 3 long ground rods as well. 6' long and pound them in so there's only 6-12" showing. It's a job, but worth it for good performance of an electric fence.

May want to get a decent digital meter for electric fence. My goal is always 9KV at the hot wire and no more than 200v between my ground rod and meter ground.

Really, I wouldn't put in that many ground rods unless I had to.

Yup 9KV will keep them in, that's for sure. I'm happey with 7.6-8KV

I think a lot of people used to do a really bad job on ground rods. I know my father-in-law used to rap a wire around a water pipe and call it good. He used to burn out chargers regularly too do to poor grounds. It's better to have too many rather then too few when it comes to ground rods.

Latest posts