Rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

if you go to rotational grazing,first have a very good hot wire to connect to. i do a very intence graze on our place and this year grazed the cow herd all winter with no days they did not have green grass. the calves i weaned in oct.grazed on rye ryegrass,and clover all winter with no hay,the fattest i ever went into spring with...a herd of 130 cows grazed on 30 acres of stockpiled fescue i moved the tape two to three times dailey but only 2 feet at a time all the way across the field this way they graze every bite avaliable.124 head of weaned calves grazed the ryegrass mix all winter the same method and they always met me and lined up and start grazing like there at a feed bunk when i back the tape up really gentles the cattle to

kaneranch":c8gmm6yf said:
We have some neghbors that run cattle for three months out of the year on there ranch. In june they buy steers and then in august they sell them. They overstock it big time in this period of time but it can recover for the rest of the year. For the rest of the nine months there cowboys can either maintain the ranch, go get another job, or retire for the rest of the year. Just thought that I would share, Kaneranch

What weight are they buying and how much do they get in only 3 months?

Checked the fence this morning. Heavy fog and the wet grass is up over the high tensile. 3/4 mile of high tensile with a 1/4 mile of poly wire, it's been brush hogged where the polywire is. As wet as it is I'm still getting 4200 volts at the far end oft he poly. When/if the grass drys and I rememberto do it I'll check it again and see how much more the voltage is.

dun

dun":517a5dni said:
Checked the fence this morning. Heavy fog and the wet grass is up over the high tensile. 3/4 mile of high tensile with a 1/4 mile of poly wire, it's been brush hogged where the polywire is. As wet as it is I'm still getting 4200 volts at the far end oft he poly. When/if the grass drys and I rememberto do it I'll check it again and see how much more the voltage is.

dun

Haqrd to believe I remembered to check the fence again. Checked it in the same place the only change is the grass isn't wet and the fog has lifted. It was 4200 volts this morning now it's 7800 volts.
Quality charger and a good ground system pays.

dun

we do rotational grazing with our herd. The main thing is keeping them rotated frequently enough to not wear the grass down and allowing it enough time to have a decent growth when they go back on the pasture. by doing rotational grazing the grass quality seems to get thicker and healthier. We raise dexter cattle which are an irish breed and are known as the worlds smallest cattle. they finish very nicely on grass but like said before rotatonal grazing is no silver bullet. The one upside we like to the rotational grazing is the benefits to the quality of the grass. And the rotation makesthe herd eat down what they normally wouldn't if they were on an open range grazing operation.

jsramer":123vyx9r said:
Dun,

Impressive!
What brand of electric fencer? how many ground rods?

thanks,
Jeff

Gallagher M800 4 ground rods.

dun

Latest posts