Rotational grazing in drought

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I would like some input from others about what to do when it dry. And we are dry. Forgot when it rained, none expected for another 10 days. Do you continue with the rotation until all the grass is completely gone, or drylot them and feed hay until the rain comes and grass recovers? Have about 2 weeks left of paddocks. Thanks.

We set up sacrifice areas and start feeding hay, started last week

dun":3obji8cx said:
We set up sacrifice areas and start feeding hay, started last week
Those that did not use sacrifice areas lost their entire pasture last summer. Some did anyway down here in Texas.
Have your herbicide ready if your drought breaks. The weeds take over with a vengeance and try and choke out what is left of your grass.

Start "supplementing" with hay....even if it rains 6 inches over the next week for you, if the pastures are that stressed it will probably be a couple weeks to a month before you see any real improvement....and then only if it rains again two weeks from now... What you are trying to do now is balance the nutritional needs with the grass that you have/can grow and the hay you have. (where as the grass is the supplement and the hay is the main course). This is when quality hay does it's best work.

I did a bale graze the last drought and it worked really good. Just set your bales out in an area that needs nutrients. I picked a rocky hillside that had been overgrazed. I set enough bales out for a month at first (finally I just set enough out to last until spring). Space them about 20' apart. I only fed one bale at a time, but if you had enough cows you may need more. I used a light bale ring (cheap one) that is easy to roll. Fence it with temporary electric fence, same way you would a temporary paddock. Just move the fence and bale ring when they are ready for the next bale. If the ground is dry, they won't rip it up. Keep a back fence up so they can't back graze on the little grass there. I never started the tractor the rest of that winter, except to push a little snow off the driveway. I fed on about 4 acres. It went from my least productive to most productive land. I did put clover and grass seed down as the cows worked their way across it - kind of let them work it in. The only area I had any problems in was the part I grazed when the drought broke and it was muddy. They tore that up pretty good. That is what I would do.

You have received some great info above. Cease to permit the cattle to have access to all paddocks that are dormant or have been grazed short. A sacrificial lot with hay or crop residue/byproduct is a necessity IMO. Even when the rains come, be slow to put the herd back on the recovering forage.

agmantoo":323br8hs said:
You have received some great info above. Cease to permit the cattle to have access to all paddocks that are dormant or have been grazed short. A sacrificial lot with hay or crop residue/byproduct is a necessity IMO. Even when the rains come, be slow to put the herd back on the recovering forage.
That is vital, hard to wait but if you don;t you will be just extending your problems even longer

Latest posts