Rotational Grazing Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

texan@heart

Reaction score
Going to try strip grazing. I don't want to have to set a post for ever corner. Going to move the cattle at least ever other day. Anyone know the right materials to use? Some of the stuff I've seen looks expensive and easy to break. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Help me understand the corner post comment. What do corner posts have to do with strip grazing?

When we design a rotational grazing system that uses temporary hot fence, it's foundation is built into the permanent perimeter fencing.

Farm Fence Solutions":1awkruq0 said:
When we design a rotational grazing system that uses temporary hot fence, it's foundation is built into the permanent perimeter fencing.
Right, I can't see doing that if you don't have a pretty good perimeter fence. It could be anything, depending on animal mix. I did some with 4x4 woven wire, some with barb wire, and some with 12.5 gauge high tensile.

I needed to do a better job explaining what I'm doing. 640 acres have permanent fence. Water is located in the middle of the pasture. I've been told I need to fence off 5-15 acres to graze. I don't know how to give access to water and still use the permanent fence. I'll admit I don't know what I'm doing here.

You might need to consider developing more water sources, if possible, before you can set up a successful strip grazing system. You'll also probably need some more permanent subdivision fence. You could do a "wagon wheel" type setup with the water at the hub but you are talking an awful lot of temporary fence with that type of a deal on a section, and probably pretty uneven grazing patterns. from your post above, In my head I'm picturing the pasture being a square 640, with only perimeter fence. Maybe you are dealing with something different.

texan@heart":qav30yuj said:
Going to try strip grazing. I don't want to have to set a post for ever corner. Going to move the cattle at least ever other day. Anyone know the right materials to use? Some of the stuff I've seen looks expensive and easy to break. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Wondering what the goal is here? Trying to run more cows or runing yearlings? 640 acres is a good bit of land to have 1 water source for rotational grazing. Maybe you could do the wagon wheel thing or get water troughs and pump water. I helped build a wagon wheel under a pivot one time, it seemed to work good.

The wagon wheel is a classic, but far from ideal.
Not sure about the layout. I would talk to NRCS.
Poly wire is cheap and easy. Water is spendy and strategic.
IF you have a pressurized water source you could branch off from there.

Do you get freezing temps? Can you do some above ground piping?

Think about lanes back to water. Water is a big think on rotating.

Can you build some tanks (ponds)?

You can reveal a strip at a time for forward grazing starting from your water source, and allowing them to back graze. This is not a good option in my book, but people do it all the time. It is HARD on your grass.

Stocker Steve":23hov7nx said:
The wagon wheel is a classic, but far from ideal.
Not sure about the layout. I would talk to NRCS.
Poly wire is cheap and easy. Water is spendy and strategic.
IF you have a pressurized water source you could branch off from there.

Wagon wheel system sounds best to start. I only have interiour fences where they were already or due to terain.

I would leap frog the wire so todays front fence becomes tomorrows back fence, and yesterdays back fence gets moved to become tomorrows front fence. Once you are set up and it is working moving fence is easy.

Then the benifits of quiter animals and more animals per acre (or less acreas per animal) make the finances look better too.

texan@heart":23kq7sst said:

Texan,
I use 17# aluminum wire and pig tail posts with no corner post at all. The wire is light enough you don't need one and you're not going to stretch it. I use the Speedrite 1000 battery powered charger. It's good for 10KV.

I use a 4ft aluminum rod for a ground but sometimes it's not enough and I have to put another one in parallel.

I bought 10 Gallagher geared reals and turbo wire for them last fall. So far I am pleased. Reals up very fast. Wire is very visible, and light so you don't have to stretch very tight. I have some pastures I move every 3-4 days. No complaints. Pm me if your interested in buying, I know who has the best prices on Gallagher you will find.

Latest posts