roping tips?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

so i figure if i got cattle, im gonna have a problem where im going to have to rope either one of mine or one of my neighbors. so i order a 35 ft xtra soft head rope from V Vet and got it yesterday. so far i can rope a trash can, my kids, and 2 neighborhood kids if they stand still. but i was really looking to find out if i can add weight to the honda with more rawhide, add lentgth to the tag end, and also soften the lead end using methods described on the web. what do you people that have experience have to say?

Maybe we should have a trash can roping contest, I'm pretty good at that. But I'll guarantee you I am the worst at roping cattle. Humans, trash cans, even my dog aren't safe, but a cow can just keep grazing and be in no danger at all of being roped by me. :lol:

hooknline":12zvkwb2 said:
dont know bout you iso, but my cows run at the mere sight of a rope.
Mine used to. Now they just snicker amongst themselves.

Practice heeling. It's the easiest way to lay one down when you're by yourself and out in the open. Try to throw a trap with the back of the loop laying up on the animals hind legs and the front of the loop on the ground. When they run they kick over the back part of the loop and when you jerk out the slack and the rope turns over you have them. Pros use a stiffer rope to heel but if you have a good arm a soft will get it done just fine.
Also, don't practice on a bucket. It is great for learning to throw flat like around a set of horns but in reality most of the time it will be a polled calf with his head tucked in. Instead try using a plastic calfs head stuck off the front side of a hay bale and rope it from behind so you learn to get some dip in the rope to neck rope calves.

This brings back a memory of when I was a kid and was practising roping everything that I could get a rope over. I was riding in the back of the truck one day, when my brother dared me to rope our mailbox on the way by. It was two weeks before the imprint of the tailgate faded from my ribs.

upfrombottom":ip96c4d4 said:
This brings back a memory of when I was a kid and was practising roping everything that I could get a rope over. I was riding in the back of the truck one day, when my brother dared me to rope our mailbox on the way by. It was two weeks before the imprint of the tailgate faded from my ribs.
Dang I bet that hurt! Reminds me of the time I dared my cousin to rope a steer. He did a fantastic job of roping that steer on foot but he wouldn't let go of the rope. Dragged him a good 100 yards.

Some really good tips there, but they forgot the most important thing. You should have someone take video of your early attempts and post it here. Then the gentle readers here can offer helpful input and kind advice. Remember, they are laughing WITH you.

i think id rather post another steak sauce recipe before putting up a video of my great roping skills

Get REALLY good with the 35' that you have before you get anything longer. It's plenty for most situations and more rope takes that much more skill. I've carried 45' before and it was almost always more than I needed unless I was going to run it up through a trailer to load something goofy and I've done that with 35'. You've also got to be pretty well mounted to use much more than 30' without getting in trouble.

upfrombottom":lgbjozqr said:
I would like to meet your brother! ;)

Some years ago{about1975} I was working in my shop building a bale loader for my pickup ,when my wife decided to put a green colt on the horse walker.Some how or another the horse ran over her and ruptured her spleen.At the time all I knew was get her to a dr.Put her in back seat of the car put my 5 yr old daughter there also,told her stay on floor .Made Austin in record time because it was sunday.never saw a cop.Got to emergency room they operated on her .It was close but she made it.By the time this was evident it had been 12 hrs.It was early morning and I had not been to sleep.Loaded daughter and we went for home.On way home stopped to check some heifers due to calve.One had afterbirth hanging out.Needed cleaning up.Went home caught a horse that was not too well schooled but useable.Daughter and I went back to catch heifer. Caught heifer first throw. Drug her up to trailer. Put another rope thru side of trailer on cows horns.Tied that rope to trailer.Put my rope thru side of trailer and proceeded to drag cow to trailer.by this time it was getting close to time to be back at hospital.Horse would not pull hard enough to load cow.I was on the ground behind cow twisting tail to make her load.Horse would just lean on rope.I hit horse with hotshot. Horse went straight up cow ran back .Horse wound up on its back with leggs away from truck but against truck. Horse could not roll over due to saddle.I took the girts off pulled horse to its feet.untied my rope from saddle.the other rope was still tied to cows horns and trailer. Un hooked trailer left cow and horse tied to trailer went to hospital.Wife was doing better.By this time it was after lunch.On way home swung by a friends house to get some help.Friend was pulling on rope I was tailing cow.Got a gate in each hand cow in middle and was pushing.Told daughter to hit cow with hotshot. She missed cow an hit me.I loaded the cow. To this day Daughter says Pop can do most any thing if you get behind him an buzz a hot shot. Moral to story,Be ware what you rope.

It's all good, about a week later we were putting a rock in a bread sack and throwing it in the air. He wound his up, tossed it, and asked me where did it go? I said look up, and he did, just in time to see it hit him right between the eyes. It took 5 stitches, he still has a scar from that one.

upfrombottom":33e69l0b said:

It's all good, about a week later we were putting a rock in a bread sack and throwing it in the air. He wound his up, tossed it, and asked me where did it go? I said look up, and he did, just in time to see it hit him right between the eyes. It took 5 stitches, he still has a scar from that one.
:bs: :bs: :bs: I have been there and They ain't got NO rocks :lol: :lol:

and they say these flatlanders are smarter than us hill folk :bang: :bang:

Latest posts