Tips and tricks to make great saving

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree that college is not for everyone. I think I read recently that less than 20% of the people that start a college degree every actually finish the degree.

Bigfoot":2juzo29y said:
I agree that college is not for everyone. I think I read recently that less than 20% of the people that start a college degree every actually finish the degree.
I know of sevarel that spent alot of time and money and never completely finished.

I can't find that statistic now. I think it was for a college in my area, and not the entire country.

Bigfoot":36mcg6l4 said:
I can't find that statistic now. I think it was for a college in my area, and not the entire country.
Might be, this is another thing where there is more than one right answer.

Bigfoot":1v8adnmz said:

Might not be that low but a lot certainly are unable to complete degree requirements for one reason or the other. Many often change majors as well which can set them back quite a bit. I had no idea what I wanted to study when I began college. Took a full two years to ever really give it much thought, so just stayed with required courses. This day and time it seems we have a lot of young foks insisting on majoring in something that is a dead end to begin with....arts mainly as well as some of the fields that are already saturated.

I wish I had a college degree. I would have more options to make a living instead of being tied to beating the bejesus out of my body. I'd just like the option

hooknline":3oh2wjcj said:
I wish I had a college degree. I would have more options to make a living instead of being tied to beating the bejesus out of my body. I'd just like the option
That's another side of it, some people are paying to learn how to do something they want to do. What I do takes no education and very little work, there's just alot of risk and you have to invest quite alot for what you make.

hooknline":23i4q6bq said:

Maybe, but probably not. Options ARE nice but you still have options in your own business if you chose to take them. Like hiring others to take the beating.

College degrees seem like the way to go but how many of you have seen college degreed people amount to absolutely nothing? As someone who is still entrenched in the employment industry and for the last 35 years, I see people every week with grandiose degrees who have done literally nothing with their education. And see people with no degree running circles around those that have them. A degree only works for those that have the ability AND the wherewithal to use it. There are thousands upon thousands of folks who have the ability, smarts and drive that make it all work successfully. And yes, there are those that have the before mentioned traits AND a degree who are really able to cut loose and make some interesting things happen. But they are far and few in comparison. For those of you without a degree but are extremely productive, don't cut your self short or brow beat yourselves.

For those that believe that a degree is the path to riches, well, not necessarily. It's rare for me to meet someone that is absolutely happy with their job and pay. Have met hundreds who make 80K to $250k a year who hate their jobs. Money is important but it really is "relative". Had a boss once who was out of Harvard. He commented that he was astounded on how many bums graduated from that University. It's all about abilities AND drive

James T":df3rq5h3 said:
hooknline":df3rq5h3 said:

Maybe, but probably not. Options ARE nice but you still have options in your own business if you chose to take them. Like hiring others to take the beating.

College degrees seem like the way to go but how many of you have seen college degreed people amount to absolutely nothing? As someone who is still entrenched in the employment industry and for the last 35 years, I see people every week with grandiose degrees who have done literally nothing with their education. And see people with no degree running circles around those that have them. A degree only works for those that have the ability AND the wherewithal to use it. There are thousands upon thousands of folks who have the ability, smarts and drive that make it all work successfully. And yes, there are those that have the before mentioned traits AND a degree who are really able to cut loose and make some interesting things happen. But they are far and few in comparison. For those of you without a degree but are extremely productive, don't cut your self short or brow beat yourselves.

For those that believe that a degree is the path to riches, well, not necessarily. It's rare for me to meet someone that is absolutely happy with their job and pay. Have met hundreds who make 80K to $250k a year who hate their jobs. Money is important but it really is "relative". Had a boss once who was out of Harvard. He commented that he was astounded on how many bums graduated from that University. It's all about abilities AND drive

Well said as I started out as a laborer with a high school degree and climbed to a high perch on the corporate ladder becoming very affluent along the way.
I was in a job I really liked except for having to mess with the idiots in the government. I did go back to college, I could have went higher on the ladder. Drive wore out.

But even that's ok, Caustic. It sometimes take a while to figure out what happiness is really all about and it can be different for each individual. Sometimes, it's all about the trail we had to walk to get there! My best year ($'s) was not too long ago where I reported about $250k in earnings. I was was one miserable SOB. I have less now.........but so much more. Life is good! Looking into that proverbial mirror occasionally is a good habit to get into. So many measure success by dollar bills. As we age, we learn that it's much, much more than that.

hooknline":a5953yo0 said:

I have a college degree and beat the chit out of my body constantly. Right now for example I'm looking at another surgery on my shoulder AND am down to 6 working digits on my hands. Sucks getting old!

James T":2wmg2z03 said:
But even that's ok, Caustic. It sometimes take a while to figure out what happiness is really all about and it can be different for each individual. Sometimes, it's all about the trail we had to walk to get there! My best year ($'s) was not too long ago where I reported about $250k in earnings. I was was one miserable SOB. I have less now.........but so much more. Life is good! Looking into that proverbial mirror occasionally is a good habit to get into. So many measure success by dollar bills. As we age, we learn that it's much, much more than that.

You are so right.
The company I worked for had an incident after I retired and called me up wanting to know if I would come back to work.
They offered an unbelievable amount for ten days a month. I replied that chapter of my life was over and I wasn't interested in coming back. A few months after I received a call wanting me to come back and oversee the Safety Review that was conducted by Secretary of State Baker again I declined. The last time they called was wanting be to set up an training program and oversee it, I declined as well.
I think they finally got the message. As I told them every time I am retired now with health issues and I plan on enjoying my kids and grandkids while I still can.

"Get rid of I want addiction" As human being, I think that we all have this "bad" habits but it's our duty to limit ourselves. As far as wants and debts are concerned, I think debts earn us money but do not help us in making great saving since the money we earn will be given back at the one we've borrowed it. Some relatives have already used gas water heater time, and it happened to be beneficial, they made great saving; however I'm looking for simple tips too, we live in town and I always drive when I come to check my cattle in the countryside therefore I spent an amount of fuel. Do you have any tips for this?

I've never had a job I didn't love. But I also have grown weary in one or two of them and changed not only jobs but professions. It's great learning new stuff from the ground up....something you weren't trained nor educated for and become very adept at performing your job. I can't complain.

TexasBred":1wgur4x2 said:
I've never had a job I didn't love. But I also have grown weary in one or two of them and changed not only jobs but professions. It's great learning new stuff from the ground up....something you weren't trained nor educated for and become very adept at performing your job. I can't complain.
Exactly what I'm trying for with cattle

My brother wishes he had a college degree. He raised tobacco and cattle from age 18 to about 30, then tobacco went the way of the Indian. He has worked for a company delivering packages for the last 15 years. It pays good, but his knees and hips are wore out from climbing on and off of truck everyday. He thought he could just farm for the rest of his life. Turns out he couldn't.

It's really a two fold issue. One, are you maximizing what you can earn for income? Then, two, are you managing well with what you do make?

Sure wish I would have figured out "pay yourself first" when I was a lot younger. We always saved our "extra" money, but how often do you really have "extra"? Money is left over after bills, but the washer is on its last legs, the truck needs tires, the kid needs braces, the roof is leaking and so on. So we didn't save as much as we should have. We finally wised up and just saved out of each and every paycheck. Once you start doing it, you don't even miss it.

A lot of it is not keeping up with the Joneses. Do you really need a 60 inch flat screen tv, the coolest smart phone, the baddest pickup truck, every gun ever made, redecorate the house every 3 years and all that??? No, you don't. Especially if you are going to get it on credit. Figuring out what is really a need and what is just a want will get you a long way.

With a job loss last year and the new job paying less, we had to cut our budget. Shopped around on all of our insurance policies and found some savings there. Switched from a land line phone to a Verizon service and saved $40 a month on that. Cut the grocery budget. If you are buying food with directions on the package, you can do better to just buy the basic ingredients and make it yourself. And it's healthier and tastes better. If we didn't have liquor and cigarettes in the budget we could do even better but nobody's perfect!

MO_cows":f38ims6r said:
It's really a two fold issue. One, are you maximizing what you can earn for income? Then, two, are you managing well with what you do make?

Sure wish I would have figured out "pay yourself first" when I was a lot younger. We always saved our "extra" money, but how often do you really have "extra"? Money is left over after bills, but the washer is on its last legs, the truck needs tires, the kid needs braces, the roof is leaking and so on. So we didn't save as much as we should have. We finally wised up and just saved out of each and every paycheck. Once you start doing it, you don't even miss it.

A lot of it is not keeping up with the Joneses. Do you really need a 60 inch flat screen tv, the coolest smart phone, the baddest pickup truck, every gun ever made, redecorate the house every 3 years and all that??? No, you don't. Especially if you are going to get it on credit. Figuring out what is really a need and what is just a want will get you a long way.

With a job loss last year and the new job paying less, we had to cut our budget. Shopped around on all of our insurance policies and found some savings there. Switched from a land line phone to a Verizon service and saved $40 a month on that. Cut the grocery budget. If you are buying food with directions on the package, you can do better to just buy the basic ingredients and make it yourself. And it's healthier and tastes better. If we didn't have liquor and cigarettes in the budget we could do even better but nobody's perfect!

I sense that there are going to be some problems. :lol:

The best tip to save on fuel is never driving with the windows down since this slows the vehicle down, meaning you have to drive the engine faster and use more fuel. There are other tips which may interest you, useful for farmers. I have a huge collection of books dealing with tips on savings, this one may help you a lot "The practical guide to saving" the health publishing company, very interesting one.

Latest posts