Ranch Roping/Bull Doctoring

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of the competition ranch roping. A couple small events here locally. Sure looks like fun, but I'm way too old for that sort of contact sport! A dear friend of mine here is a long-time friend of Buck Brannaman, and although I've had several opportunities to meet him, the timing just wasn't together. A different friend passed along this video of a RR bull doctoring class (starring Brannaman), and I thought I'd pass it along for your viewing entertainment. And, yeah, I know an indoor arena sport isn't much like being out on the N. 400 by yourself, but the technique is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9tR01bYjVE&feature=share

I'm a big Buck Brannaman fan, thanks for posting the video
but I can't say that was the smartest thing i have seen him do

cross_7":1bpqim21 said:
I'm a big Buck Brannaman fan, thanks for posting the video
but I can't say that was the smartest thing i have seen him do
Buck puts on clinics not that far from here a couple times a year. Just have to make time to do one, and I could tag with my friend . . . . That is absolutely going on my bucket list!!

I rode in a bunch of rodeos. Traveled some with a couple world champions. And I can say I enjoy watching a ranch rodeo more than a conventional rodeo. It is much more realistic to the way cattle are handled out on big ranches. And having doctored cows and bulls that way I can also say that I very much prefer a good sqeeze chute.

I did see a ranch rodeo in Winnemucca a few years ago that had an event, trailer loading. Four cowboys at one end of the arena. Half a dozen steers at the other end. An open trailer parked in the middle. The rode down, roped a steer and loaded it in the trailer. Time stopped when the trailer door closed. The winning time was 17 seconds. It was pretty slick to watch.

That goes a whole lot faster and safer if you get a leg,or preferably both hind legs, first. Just don't ever, ever, ever do it with other bulls in the area. :frowns:
Power changes hands quickly in a bulls mind.
Me and another guy doctored a red brangus bull out in the middle of the off season bull pasture that was scared to death of the corrals so we roped him and layed him down an I climbed on and dug foxtails out of both eyes. We wound up tied to a bullfight with about thirty contestants. At one point the bull I was sitting on got hit so hard that he came up off the ground and both horses stumbled hard trying to hold him. The other guy had the neck rope so I let his end go first and then stepped on my horse to let the heels go and the rope had bit into the rubber so hard hat I couldn't un-daly. :help: About that time another bull hit him in the shoulder and shoved him to where I had enough slack for him to kick free. After that we decided we wern't going to rope them without more help and only during breeding season when they're spread out.

cow pollinater":1b41xuia said:
That goes a whole lot faster and safer if you get a leg,or preferably both hind legs, first. Just don't ever, ever, ever do it with other bulls in the area. :frowns:
Me and another guy doctored a red brangus bull out in the middle of the off season bull pasture that was scared to death of the corrals so we roped him and layed him down an I climbed on and dug foxtails out of both eyes. We wound up tied to a bullfight with about thirty contestants. At one point the bull I was sitting on got hit so hard that he came up off the ground and both horses stumbled hard trying to hold him. The other guy had the neck rope so I let his end go first and then stepped on my horse to let the heels go and the rope had bit into the rubber so hard hat I couldn't un-daly. :help: About that time another bull hit him in the shoulder and shoved him to where I had enough slack for him to kick free. After that we decided we wern't going to rope them without more help and only during breeding season when they're spread out.
Yikes!!! :hide: Stored in memory bank!

cow pollinater":saudbs0w said:

bet that was fun :shock:
One time when i was a kid my dad and another ranch hand were going to rope a bull, my dad got the first loop, ranch hand got his loop on but the bull turned to fight and the ranch hand dropped his rope.
that left my dad tied hard and fast to a plenty hot 2000# bull and a 1000# horse
he finally got him choked down but it was wild for a while.
never did understand why he was so against dallying

Never mind a bull, the right cow will run up your rope like a thirsty hog to water.

Bigfoot":1np5re11 said:
Never mind a bull, the right cow will run up your rope like a thirsty hog to water.

You have got that right. I roped a floopy eared, bananna horned, old cow one time that was climbing into the saddle with me faster than I could undo my dally. Things were real intersting there for a few minutes. My horse was less than proud of me.

Bigfoot":382p0xp6 said:
:nod: I had one of those about two weeks ago. She was one from the previous owner of a ranch that I've owned for two years... That ought to tell you something about her. After she climbed up in the saddle with me I was going to just shoot her but she saved me the trouble and keeled over dead before I could get to the truck. :clap:

cross_7":30ak151x said:
cow pollinater":30ak151x said:

bet that was fun :shock:
One time when i was a kid my dad and another ranch hand were going to rope a bull, my dad got the first loop, ranch hand got his loop on but the bull turned to fight and the ranch hand dropped his rope.
that left my dad tied hard and fast to a plenty hot 2000# bull and a 1000# horse
he finally got him choked down but it was wild for a while.
never did understand why he was so against dallying
That dally roping is dangerous. People loose fingers that way. :shock:
Friend of mine said he wouldn't team rope for that reason.
I asked him, "Why not? He wasn't doing nothing else with those fingers anyway."

we used to do wild cow milking at the rodeos. lots of fun in my younger days. I never got to be the roper/milker. I was always the Mugger. I've had my scrawny butt dragged all over the arena. but we won every one we ever entered

I think I'd alot rather be dally'd up, then tied hard. You can't hardly escape away tied hard in a bad deal. Heck, you can lose fingers wrapping a lead rope instead of just holding it.

Latest posts