Ranch succession

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
My FIL passed a few days ago, 87, had a bad year with the shingles and it just tore him down. Prior to last june, he was baling hay and working cattle as he always did. Me and the wife are the only ones interested in farming and thought about buying the place, but decided that its just too much, and we don't want the debt at this point.Thankfully, he had his affairs in order. He never gave us anything, but he was wiley in the way he sold me my herd, against some of the other siblings cries. We agreed that I would pick what I wanted, and he would take the rest too the barn, his fall calving herd, and I would pay the average. Well the old guy took them and didn't have them pregged, so they brought substantially less, he got his way, he wanted to give them to us. You may remember last fall when I helped him market about 100 steers, he really appreciated the effort and they did really well. He bought 115 more this spring, and I guess I'll do the same this fall. For years he would introduce me as "Verna's son in law" (his wife), then one day I tore his baler down and fixed it for him. He told my wife that I was a dang good hand, a real compliment coming from him, and after that he would introduce me as his son in law. Gonna miss the old guy.

If you got a compliment from an old rancher I'd say you really did something. Sounds like he liked you, it's sad to see these tough older guys and gals passing. Sorry for your loss.

Latest posts