Romagnola breed info

Help Support CattleToday:

have you ever kept any romagnola x heifers as replacements?If so how did they perform?Sam Plank

Sam Plank":1v73qxf3 said:
have you ever kept any romagnola x heifers as replacements?If so how did they perform?Sam Plank
I have kept my Romagnola cross heifers as replacements and they perform pretty well, specially the ones cross to dual purpose breeds as Simmental, Normande and Tarentaise even Simbrah, remember Romagnola is a beef breed doesn't milk much but more than enough, its milk is high in protein.

Could you possibly email me some pictures of you romagnola x cows or post them on here?Sam Plank

You can upload the photo to a website, some people here have mentioned http://www.tripod.com as a free site if you don't have a website for your ranch.

Macon can tell you how to post a picture or I can send you the instructions.

But the photo does have to be on an URL.

A. delaGarza":25dm41z4 said:
Sam Plank":25dm41z4 said:
Could you possibly email me some pictures of you romagnola x cows or post them on here?Sam Plank

I have just find one with the baby calf aside when it gave birth. I don't know how to post it.

cherokeeruby":u259vfjo said:
You can upload the photo to a website, some people here have mentioned http://www.tripod.com as a free site if you don't have a website for your ranch.

A. delaGarza":u259vfjo said:
Sam Plank":u259vfjo said:

I have just find one with the baby calf aside when it gave birth. I don't know how to post it.
I will try, if I can't I will e-mail them to the Macon

cherokeeruby":19axyg4g said:

A. delaGarza":19axyg4g said:
Sam Plank":19axyg4g said:

how do I upload the photos to http://a.delagarzatx.tripoid.com/pics/

A. delaGarza":25odm45o said:
cherokeeruby":25odm45o said:

A. delaGarza":25odm45o said:
Sam Plank":25odm45o said:

i haven't had good luck getting the tripod pics to show up here.......usually it just gives the tripod image. BUT, if you get that far, we can use that image to get to your pictures.

if you have already set up a tripod account, follow the instructions to building your own website. it's not too difficult, but if you have questions, e-mail me or pm me & i'll help you through it.

txag":2y8vd6tc said:
A. delaGarza":2y8vd6tc said:
cherokeeruby":2y8vd6tc said:

A. delaGarza":2y8vd6tc said:
Sam Plank":2y8vd6tc said:

i haven't had good luck getting the tripod pics to show up here.......usually it just gives the tripod image. BUT, if you get that far, we can use that image to get to your pictures.

if you have already set up a tripod account, follow the instructions to building your own website. it's not too difficult, but if you have questions, e-mail me or pm me & i'll help you through it.

I will try with my yahoo photo files

trav":2pv005hw said:
would Romagonla x braunvieh be a good cross.
I had never cross them, but I had cross Romagnola with Simmental, Limousin, Charolaise, Normande, Tarentaise, Simbrah and Gyr and A.I. Romagnola cows with Hereford, Angus( Red & Black). The crosses with Continental were good specialy the ones cross to dual purpose breeds and I have seen the Romangus and they look great, that's why I A.I. some cows

A. delaGarza":377u8wy6 said:
trav":377u8wy6 said:
I had never cross them, but I had cross Romagnola with Simmental, Limousin, Charolaise, Normande, Tarentaise, Simbrah and Gyr and A.I. Romagnola cows with Hereford, Angus( Red & Black). The crosses with Continental were good specialy the ones cross to dual purpose breeds and I have seen the Romangus and they look great, that's why I A.I. some cows
would branvieh be considered a daul porpose breed if not what is. with the coloring of both the braunvieh and romagonola being so light would they be docked at the market. if i am understading right i would be better off breeding my braunvieh cows to a brangus and then crossing those heifers " braunvieh x brangus" to a romagnola or simm bull.

Anonymous":33aldgqg said:
A. delaGarza":33aldgqg said:
trav":33aldgqg said:
would branvieh be considered a daul porpose breed if not what is. with the coloring of both the braunvieh and romagonola being so light would they be docked at the market. if i am understading right i would be better off breeding my braunvieh cows to a brangus and then crossing those heifers " braunvieh x brangus" to a romagnola or simm bull.
Braunvieh is considerd a dual purpose breed, Romagnola should be considered a Terminal sire and I had never cross them to Braunvieh so I don't know the coloring the offsprings will have, but if you are into the "Black Hided Cattle not Angus" market just buy a Black Romagnola (if you are interested in Romagnola) in the US, the only place in the whole world that registers "Black whatsoever not Angus" breed, think Canada does it too.

Shataken":jrkfxtlh said:
I have only recently heard of Romagnola cattle and most people that cross them with Angus are very happy with their birth weights and weaning weight. Is this just bias on their part or do Romagnola really have a trait for low birth weights and high weight gain. I have never even seen one of these Romagnola cattle, but my bull has got to go and thought this was worth looking into. His calves are low birth weight, but just don't put on the weight fast enough.
I currently have commercial Brangus but have access to plenty of commercial Angus, which like I said earlier, has made the ones I have talked with very happy.
Any comments on this greatly appreciated, Including info on picking a better Brangus bull next time, if that is the direction you suggest I go.
Stay Away from Romagnola!!! I bought 2 Rom bulls several years ago as they were starting to promote - bought into the hype! The calves are NOT small - my Angus BW is 75-85 those Cross calves were all 100 + The calves did look good, the bulls were calm, and my Angus cattle have been selected for disposition for several years - But the calves from those 2 bulls never saw a fence they couldn't jump! High headed fools. Kept a few to breed and sell as RomAngus - MISTAKE - they were so late maturing, the Angus had a 98% bred on 60 days, the Rom angus were under 50%. The bred heifers I did sell had poor milk, the buyers had trouble getting them re-bred, and an all around train wreck! I called the owner of the big promoted cattle in KY /Tenn - and Miss Nancy said her cattle were all low calvers after she admitted she STARVES THE COWS prior to calving - exactly opposite from any cattle management program I have ever herd of. That paper will lay there and let you write anything you want on it - Watch over promoted cattle! Better get some Angus bulls - or any breed over Romagnola unless you plan to sell every calf and have a good set of calf pullers!

Larry Sansom":1lgy8aj8 said:
Shataken":1lgy8aj8 said:
I have only recently heard of Romagnola cattle and most people that cross them with Angus are very happy with their birth weights and weaning weight. Is this just bias on their part or do Romagnola really have a trait for low birth weights and high weight gain. I have never even seen one of these Romagnola cattle, but my bull has got to go and thought this was worth looking into. His calves are low birth weight, but just don't put on the weight fast enough.
I currently have commercial Brangus but have access to plenty of commercial Angus, which like I said earlier, has made the ones I have talked with very happy.
Any comments on this greatly appreciated, Including info on picking a better Brangus bull next time, if that is the direction you suggest I go.
Stay Away from Romagnola!!! I bought 2 Rom bulls several years ago as they were starting to promote - bought into the hype! The calves are NOT small - my Angus BW is 75-85 those Cross calves were all 100 + The calves did look good, the bulls were calm, and my Angus cattle have been selected for disposition for several years - But the calves from those 2 bulls never saw a fence they couldn't jump! High headed fools. Kept a few to breed and sell as RomAngus - MISTAKE - they were so late maturing, the Angus had a 98% bred on 60 days, the Rom angus were under 50%. The bred heifers I did sell had poor milk, the buyers had trouble getting them re-bred, and an all around train wreck! I called the owner of the big promoted cattle in KY /Tenn - and Miss Nancy said her cattle were all low calvers after she admitted she STARVES THE COWS prior to calving - exactly opposite from any cattle management program I have ever herd of. That paper will lay there and let you write anything you want on it - Watch over promoted cattle! Better get some Angus bulls - or any breed over Romagnola unless you plan to sell every calf and have a good set of calf pullers!
I don't want to talk bad of any breed promoter, but maybe for some reason that you post just in the past Houston Show a new Romagnola Association was formed, if your Romagnolas didn't have low birth calving I don't know what did you buy but I can affirm that Romagnolas have as low or lower birth weights than Angus and as far as milking we all know that all terminal breeds does not milk well but if you have a milk test the Romagnola milk is one of the best milks a cow can give (protein & fat) and it milks more than enough to raise a calf.
I won't tell you the BW of my Romagnola fullbloods or crossbreds but they are lower than your Angus weights and you're invited to my farm to weight them for yourself.

Latest posts