Rolling Blackouts

Help Support CattleToday:

My BIL works at a gas burning plant over in East Texas. TXU, Oncore, Luminant, Reliant, heck I can't ever remember what the newest name of the company is. it's been in operation fo rabout 50 years. Seemsall they do is what he calls "overhaul" and there's was in December and January . Twelve hours a day, 7 days a week. I have no idea what's involved. It's not a huge plant by any means and I think it's often used to sort of "fill in the gap" when another plant is down.

Our lights never went off. Have no idea why. A couple hours at a time is just an inconvenience. Over in East Texas they go without for days just because of all the dam pine trees that uproot and fall across the lines.

At current spot market prices, any plant that can generate anything is pumping as hard as they can.

If the grid goes down, lots of companies are going to lose revenue.

If we could pump it north of TX, we'd double our money.

TexasBred":1wtvhi2x said:
My BIL works at a gas burning plant over in East Texas. TXU, Oncore, Luminant, Reliant, heck I can't ever remember what the newest name of the company is. it's been in operation fo rabout 50 years.

lines.

Luminant if it is generation. Its all busted up now. TXU is retail. Oncor is delivery. Etc.

Wolf Hollow power plant has the right idea. Make power when you can make money on gas. Shut down when you can't. Now that gas is cheap, they are a cash cow. Who owns them? I wanna buy some stock!

Brute 23":3bf1xv26 said:
Its not an area deal. You missed it. :roll:

The resons the hospitals lost power is due to the stupidity of there local co-op or provider. They just transport the electricity, not generate it.

Why did hospitals loose power...the hospitals backup generators should keep that from being a problem...unless... :?

1982vett":chl5zaa6 said:
Brute 23":chl5zaa6 said:

The resons the hospitals lost power is due to the stupidity of there local co-op or provider. They just transport the electricity, not generate it.

Why did hospitals loose power...the hospitals backup generators should keep that from being a problem...unless... :?

Your right... they never did. They were just crying for the news cameras.

That is not true that ever plant in Texas is at full capacity. There are plants all over that do not have permanent contracts. The sit idle until prices reach a certain price because of high demand. Then they crank them up. Just because one company is at full capactity does not mean every generating company in Texas is.

Also... we actually never ended up getting elec from Mexico. Mexico turned the offer down because of weather there also.

Brute 23":247qjzr5 said:
1982vett":247qjzr5 said:
Brute 23":247qjzr5 said:

Your right... they never did. They were just crying for the news cameras.

That is not true that ever plant in Texas is at full capacity. There are plants all over that do not have permanent contracts. The sit idle until prices reach a certain price because of high demand. Then they crank them up. Just because one company is at
full capactity does not mean every generating company in Texas is.

If they did not loose there supply why would they have to make there own? I am sure there has to be some disruption when they switch over. If my loved ones were in surgery when it went off I would be very concerned.

I am sure you can explain to all of the people with health concerns that it was all there fault for not having a reliable generating system to make there own power :cowboy:

Also... we actually never ended up getting elec from Mexico. Mexico turned the offer down because of weather there also.

Newspaper yesterday was saying that about 10% of the power plantsin the state were literally frozen up due to certain pipes, fitting, etc not being properly insulated. Don't know if that would fall under poor maintenance, management of what. Just seems a bunch of the plants got caught with their pants down. Anyway, problem seems to be solved now.

After reading some of these posts, maybe I should tell the boss lady losing power here was just our imagination. It did' t really happen.

If the wind is blowing just right, we have plenty of generating capacity. We lead the nation in that. Next time they should just turn down that north wind a little.

mwj":3s1ekiwc said:
If they did not loose there supply why would they have to make there own? I am sure there has to be some disruption when they switch over. If my loved ones were in surgery when it went off I would be very concerned.

I am sure you can explain to all of the people with health concerns that it was all there fault for not having a reliable generating system to make there own power :cowboy:
Transfer is miliseconds...just as the ups on a computer kicks in...Critical equipment is on battery backup till generator cycles to full power. Non-issue if equipment is maintained properly. But yes... backups do fail...and even backups to backups fail.... :hide:

Latest posts