Rolling Blackouts

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
We're having them all over Texas! Wasn't aware of it until the lights went out- now I have the matches found and the candles at the ready..
First one I can remember.. It is coldhere -- 20f!! And colder in the morning.. I gotta Dr appointment tomorrow at 11am,should have warmed up by then,right :help: I gotta use my chair to get there... Find myself a bit flinchy crossing the street :hide: :shock: :frowns:
Y'all please,please watch out for powered wheelchairs :shock:
{italics fail :compute: :oops: }

peg4x4":14zjugdj said:
We're having them all over Texas! Wasn't aware of it until the lights went out- now I have the matches found and the candles at the ready..
First one I can remember.. It is coldhere -- 20f!! And colder in the morning.. I gotta Dr appointment tomorrow at 11am,should have warmed up by then,right :help: I gotta use my chair to get there... Find myself a bit flinchy crossing the street :hide: :shock: :frowns:
Y'all please,please watch out for powered wheelchairs :shock:
{italics fail :compute: :oops: }

Good luck Peg, and God bless you!

To tell you the truth Peg, this is probably the best thing that could happen.

This is very political. ERCOT needs to be accountable for this. They are jerking everyone through a knot hole.

Not that it is "finally happening", maybe something will be done. Wind generation is only going to make the grid more unstable. Worsen the situation. It is time for the public to speak out.

And the bright side is we have enough power to marginally cover everything 99% of the time, provided no plants fail. This just happens to be the 1%.

You would think that they might have thought to mention to someone that the blackouts were coming. Our turn was 7 to 7:30 this morning. All phone circuits were jammed with everyone trying to report the outage. The trouble guy on call spent the 30 minutes chasing his tail looking for the problem. The co-op was finally notified about 7:30 that it was a planned blackout.

I'm guessing that every power company in the state will be asking for a rate increase in a week or two, now that everyone has been softened up by the state idiots.

Stay warm and be safe tomorrow Peg.

you're not alone in flinching. I was in 2 different accidents hit on both sides, now when I see a car speeding up to an intersection I brace for impact. Doesn't matter if they are on the left or right.

They've stopped the blackouts,at least for today.
"We have became too many for the Earth to sustaine"
:hide:

Peg they've busted up all the power companies. The company I am with now just generates. They make us cut back on output and increase vars all the time to add stability to the grid they took.

Aint no way I would add a power plant at the moment if it were my nickels.

Why don't they break up all the Wally World's? It seems they are a major monopoly and reach far outside the state borders too. Aint no way a maw and paw business could compete with them.

Does your power grid go into Mexico? I thought that they said on the news this am that power was coming in from south of the border.

mwj":sla7g48e said:
Does your power grid go into Mexico? I thought that they said on the news this am that power was coming in from south of the border.

If you call 100 feet of 16 guage extension cord stretched between two trailers a grid...
just kiddin'

........" It is time for the public to speak out.".......

I think we have. I did. The Lt. Governor is not a happy camper, and the senate wants to interview ERCOT, whoever that is. While this may well have been necessary, the way it was done was not. Apparently there are 4 or 5 guys that are empowered to affect the lives of millions of people with no recourse and no questions asked.

I'm sure there's a political angle in there somewhere. We just don't know what it is (yet). Only thing that's real obvious is the need for rate increases for all. :hide:

Like Nancy says, we'll just have to pass it to see what's in it. :banana: :banana: :banana:

We have a nuke plant in TX that replaced 4 steam generators in 55 days and got the unit back on line. Prior to that, another plant in the world had done it in 65 days. Check how long it takes at most of nukes in the U.S. Consider how many BILLIONS of dollars worth of electricity TX skilled labor save the rate payer.

Under the REVISED caveats of the current energy bill, we CANNOT use this skilled TX labor to build new nuke plants and get loan garrantees. We're going to have to import thousands of people.

Check the nuke plant operating track records in TX and see where they stack up against other plants built in the U.S. by this labor we are going to have to import.

Read between the lines here. Who is going to actually build the new nukes if approved?

What adds more stability to the grid in TX than nuke units?

Folks complained a lot when Grand Gulf Nuke Plant and AR Nuke 1 was built, look what a bargain they are today.

mwj":3vppfqrs said:

Yes. It stopped brown outs. I wonder how green that power is?

My brother works for a company that owns alot of power plants across Texas. We have a friend that basically watches the grid and decides what plants come on and off. According to both of them this time of the year is when alot of plants schedule maintenance. Typically this is not a high usage time of the year. They do have plants that basically sit idle until they are needed. When they tried to bring them on they were having alot of problems. Much like you going out and trying to crank up a truck that has been sitting for a year. So between maintenance, some breakdowns, and problems with the plants in reserve you get what we had. So sectret agendas or any thing. I think we have all had days like that.

I agree it would be nice if they would get a little better system for handling this but people are being way dramatic about this. We experienced the same thing with prduction in the oil and gas side. Proabably 75% of my stuff is shut down. It is just not cost effective plan for the 1% chances.

Electricity is a service. Any body who deals with service companies should know the more you want of them... the more it will cost you. The last thing we need is the gov stepping in with some kind of mandate. All that will turn into is a higher cost we will pay that 99% of the time... for that 1% chance.

The only political nonsense from this is Dave Dewhust's comments and this witch hunt. We all know he is wanting to move up the ladder in the next ellections so it should not be suprised.

People when its winter you need spare blankets, candles, food, water what ever else just like hurricanse season or what ever else. You would have never heard my grandparents cry so much about some thing so minor. This is the society of dependent wusses we have now days. What was funnier was it was all the people in office buildings or cities crying. Was I or any of the people I know crying....... No... we were out working in it all day. :lol:

Maybe in your area. Here we take plants down in April or October.

Several hospitals lost power. It ain't about whiners only.

Fed politics is way worse than state. no need to get this thread locked. We got real issues. More people steadily crossing the Red River. We're busting at the seams. It's gonna get worse unless we build plants. Natural gas is down in price. Way the heck down. It's relatively clean too.

I don't need to talk to a friend. :D

Latest posts