Road pipe grates cow crossing

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Not sure what they are called but to eliminate 2 gates for access to my house I was thinking about using them in lieu of gates. They are 2" pipes spaced 3 to 4" apart so cattle will not cross these areas of roadways. Anybody had ane experience with them or no what they are called?

They are called "Cattle Guards". Can buy pre-assembled or you can DIY. Think pre-fab ones with end braces to attach optional security gate is in $1000 to $1500 range. LOT of work and pipe to weld all that DIY. Probably looking at 2-7/8" or 3" NEW "oil well" pipe. I wouldn't trust used pipe since vehicles will be going over one.

I wouldn't use a cattle guard (in lieu of a gate) if you have any livestock that know how to, or are capable of jumping over things.

You can make them out of treated 2x6's set on edge over a bed of gravel for drainage. As far as the jumping goes I think I would be more concerned with one clearing a fence!

I'm seeing them in concrete now that are pre-fabricated and with steel prices what they are they may be cheaper. I've never had one.

Have yet to hear of anyone saying they had a cow getting out through one.

Anybody here want to tell me different to help me make my mind up regarding putting one in when the new home is done?

J

I'd agree with Bill. I wouldn't use one where the animal has access to a road if they get over it. i've seen some that will walk them or jump them. They're ok from pasture to pasture, but from pasture to road, I'd be very doubtful.

We've got dozens of them at the workplace. To get a better guarantee we doubled them up. The singles were only about 4 or 6 foot wide, so we use another one behind it to discourage jumpers and restless bulls. There's 5000 mommas on the place and none has crossed yet (in years). They WILL cross it if you let sand or other stuff pack down into it raising the ground level underneath to where the grate is just packed in sand. You have to keep it cleaned out. The one's we use are prefab concrete and we drive dumptrucks and semi loads of calves across them no problem.

If it were me I would go ahead and leave the metal gates in place. Try to force the cattle onto the structure with the gates closed after you build it. This will test your homemade deal. Also if something ever goes wrong with it you can always just go back to shutting your gates while you repair the problem. The secret is to have about 6 inch spacing in between each section, and make sure there is plenty of space between the top surface and the earth below. Cows, horses and likely dogs will not cross it if done properly. Wouldn't do it if kids run to the mailbox. They could slip a foot into it and break a bone maybe? Not exactly the best thing for people to cross either. If you insist on building it, I'd try to find one that was done properly and check it out before building your own.

Depending on what part of the country you are from, they are also called auto gates. We had several of them for years and years (2 were at the main entrances) and never had a cow get out over them. Ours were steel, single width, 5-6' wide, the pit below them was apprx 3-4 foot deep, and we cleaned the pits out about once a year. Hope this helps.

They work great for me. I prefer steel over concrete.
Has anyone else seen the ones that were flat strap with
springs on the bottom to make it bow up? It just lays on the ground and it flattened when you drove over it.

When using cattle guards all "Jumpers" have to go to the sale barn. Once a cow or bull jumps a cattle guard he/she will do it again.

Cattle guards are only a deterent. But then, so are fences. The more pressure you put on an animal (herding, roundups) the less effective the deterent is. The best thing about the 6ft wide ones is that there is a good chane they can clear it if they are really motivated. Id rather have to round one back up than loose it to a broken leg.

The best size of a Cattle Guard is 16x8x1. I'm looking in to some concrete ones now.You see a lot of old ones here made of railroad track, set on "I" beams.

dcara, amen. i dont find it all that hard to round up an animal. but hate nursing one.

crowderfarms, thats how mine was built. and it works pretty good. knock on wood i've never had an animal cross or "jump" one. but then i think that an animal would try a fence before they would a guard but thats just imo. i just went up our local railroad and found more than enough track. the stuff gets very heavy very quick. if you dont want to talk to the railroad or drive down miles of track looking you can go to busnesses that uses the railroad and look. the tracks there are kept up more oftain and railties and track is changed out more oftain. this can save lots of money.

My neighbor has one where his drive meets the paved highway- never had an escapee.

Out west, they use these cattle guards extensively, both on private ranchess as well as rangeland- often to keep the cattle off of the interstates and other high-speed highways....I'd say they work pretty good. Wish I had one! (I don't complain about opening and closing the gate though- after having lived in the city, I'm glad to have the need for a gate!)

Thanks for all the great info. What started the concern was I was laying out my house and cross fencing on a set of drawings and my wife (Iron Pants) noticed I had a gate at the road and one at the house. Being the lovely person she is " 2 gates will be fine if they are automated". The automated gates she wanted would cost a fortune so I convinced her to let me use a cattle guard. Now I have to tell her that she has to clean them out once a year. :lol:

I have seen some electric fence gates that you can drive through. It has streamers coming off the poles so the cattle can't go under the gate. Also they said the gate would not hurt the car/truck paint job.

Sam

Central Fl Cracker":23ibxipf said:
Now I have to tell her that she has to clean them out once a year. :lol:

Boy i dont want to be anywhere around when that storm blows in.

We have one where my mother's house meets the road allowance. Be prepared to ship the ones who will jump it and fast before their friends see thm. One of the funniest things I've ever seen (only because the cow didn't break a leg doing it) was a cow who literally tippy toed across it. We got rid of her too. So far it's the bought cows that make a break for it over the cattle guard. The ones born here don't even think of crossing it.

Latest posts