Ritchie omni 3

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
790474E1-C7BD-4502-A507-D6A247BF800F.pngDoes anyone have any experience with these waterers? I bought a couple at auction last year finally got them installed. When I plug it into the gfci it immediately trips. I've plugged other things into the outlet and the work fine. I double checked the wiring diagram on their site and it all looks right. Anybody know what to check?

When I plug it into the gfci it immediately trips.
I use Ritchie waterers. I don't know the model numbers, but they are wired as shown in the diagram. Some I use have the thermostat and some don't.

You said your waterers are being "plugged in" and that strikes me as odd. Ours are wired direct to a line with a 6.25 amp fuse. To see the fuse, search the internet with this phrase: "cooper bussmann 6.25 amp fusetron plug"

Using a multimeter you can check the heaters for continuity. If you think it's the thermostat then bypass it just to test, but I would not bypass it permanently.

That would be easy to start unhooking components and testing with an ohms tester.
What is your outlet rated for? Maybe the fountain pulls more amps than the outlet is designed for?

I'll see if I can troubleshooting today it's getting colder and I need to get it fixed ASAP. You can hard wire them or like mine it has a 3ft cord that you plug into an outlet so when I installed the pad and ran the water lines I set a box up with an outlet.

I am no electrician but I am assuming by what you all are saying a potential cause could be no continuity in one of the components? Either the thermostat or one of the heaters?

Mine has the disc thermostat does it matter which one of the two wires goes to the hot side? They are both the same color no definitive difference that I can tell.

If the GFCI is tripping, there is current leakage somewhere to ground. Moisture on the connections/wring maybe? Watertight connectors might solve that. Moisture in the receptacle? Bypass the receptacle to test. Defective component maybe? Disconnect the heating elements one at a time to see if anything changes. Leakage in the thermostat maybe? Take the thermostat out of the circuit to test. Bypass the thermostat temporarily by connecting the Hot directly to the heating elements and see if it still trips. A break or cut in the insulation on a wire somewhere? If the circuit breaker is tripping instead of the GFCI, then something shorted out or overloaded. You said you had two. Are both doing the same thing? Lower probability of some of the items listed occurring on two separate units. Maybe GFCI is defective, but probably not. Install the copper ground for safety for sure. If there is current leakage (indicated by the gfci tripping), then there is a possible shock hazard.
Some items don't work well on GFCI. Freezer in a garage or on a porch is tough to do with a GFCI. A little leakage in the compressor will trip it.

when I installed the pad and ran the water lines I set a box up with an outlet.
You have an electrical outlet inside the waterer. When you plug-in the waterer, the GFCI trips. Try plugging in something else such as a light or a drill. Does it work or does the GFCI trip?

I plugged a drill in and it works just fine, I did make some progress today by process of elimination. I think the thermostat is bad but when I direct wire each component they work individually. Soon as I get them all three hooked up it trips (minus the thermostat) According to the documentation I have the appropriate sized outlet and breaker.

I may just have to have an electrician come take a look I am running out of time. Evenings have been below freezing and it's only going to get colder.

Latest posts