Tarter Series 3 Cattle Shute with Head Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

dwaynebanker

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions as my 1 1/2year Tarter Cattle Chute and Head Gate is not working as it should. When setting in the automatic catch position the right door is now setting back further than left hand door. When the cow moves forward the left door locks but the right one will not without assistance from me. When you let the cow out of the head gate and shoot the doors open as they should. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry you are having the same problem I had with my old Tarter head catch. There is a bolt at the top of the head catch you can screw in to make the automatic gates move in forward that helps some. If you move it too much however the cows sometimes cannot get their heads in the opening. Found a photo, top left.

LDEnterprises":1w5u3h1r said:
Sorry you are having the same problem I had with my old Tarter head catch. There is a bolt at the top of the head catch you can screw in to make the automatic gates move in forward that helps some. If you move it too much however the cows sometimes cannot get their heads in the opening. Found a photo, top left.

Same issue with my old Tarter chute as well. I could adjust the the one side and it would work for a few cows and go back to missing. Even had a Tarter Rep come out and take a look, only suggestion was the adjustment bolts on top. Never could get it to work quite right. Good luck, I hope you have better luck!

Width adjustment is key to automatic head catches. If you are having to push one side in, you might try and open it up a bit making the opening wider. You can do this by taking the pins out and sliding the sides to another hole. If it's too narrow the cow's neck is preventing it to push flush to latch correctly. The adjustment screw at the top will let you open the sides wider but will not help with the closed width. Also, you can set the opening too wide with the adjustment screw that will let the animal get part of their shoulder through the opening and will not let it close to catch the animal as wel.

Latest posts