Ringworm questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What causes ringworm? How can you keep your cows from getting it? We worm every 3 month's is this enough or should we do more? If they get it once will they always get it? Will there unborn calf get it? just lots of questions any answers would be great... HAPPY NEW YEAR

[email protected]

Ringworm is caused by a fungus and can live in soil or other surfaces for years. Whne something rubs against it they can become infected. It's is highly contagious and can be spread from animal to animal and to humans. I don;t think there is really an affective preventative, other then never having it introduced.

dun

> What causes ringworm? How can you
> keep your cows from getting it? We
> worm every 3 month's is this
> enough or should we do more? If
> they get it once will they always
> get it? Will there unborn calf get
> it? just lots of questions any
> answers would be great... HAPPY
> NEW YEAR

[email protected]

> What causes ringworm? How can you
> keep your cows from getting it? We
> worm every 3 month's is this
> enough or should we do more? If
> they get it once will they always
> get it? Will there unborn calf get
> it? just lots of questions any
> answers would be great... HAPPY
> NEW YEAR

Dan The best cure for ringworm (we used to call it barn yard itch) is sunshine. You can treat it by using an old curry comb to scrape the scab on it and then spray it with iodine. But until spring comes- it usually keeps coming back.

> I agree with Dan, however, the few times that I had cattle with ringworm, I used a fungicide like you would purchase for athletes feet or jock itch in humans. Also, I tried Blue Star Ointment, the kind that they advertise on TV, that works quite well.

I once heard from a cattleman that if you run a goat with your cattle, you will never have ringworm. Don't have a clue how that works nor can I attest to that theory in any shape or form!

Latest posts