Right to be doubtful?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirlxupx1034

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a angus cross heifer next month to use for breeding. Since she'll be a first calf heifer, I'm going to use Rocky Balboa, a calving ease sire on her. The only thing I'm worried about is that I haven't been able to find any pictures of calves sired by him and that makes me doubt if he's worth using for her. Is he worth it?

cowgirlxupx1034":hyabuiyn said:
I'm planning on getting a angus cross heifer next month to use for breeding. Since she'll be a first calf heifer, I'm going to use Rocky Balboa, a calving ease sire on her. The only thing I'm worried about is that I haven't been able to find any pictures of calves sired by him and that makes me doubt if he's worth using for her. Is he worth it?

You should want a heifer to concieve, have the calf and raise the calf successfully . Don't worry about it as it is going to the sale.

I told a guy who was getting in (and out) of the business that he was gona have a time at calving after breeding his heifers to a Char. He lost all 2 of the calves and one of the heifers. I think he's still mad at me for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just nervous and timid since this is going to be my first time handling a pregnant heifer, but I will have plenty of help with our 4-h leader, who is our county's beef expert.

I have used Ali and hes truly a proven calving ease clubby. His semen is now $200 and up now. Rocky and Tyson have the potential to replace Ali but I am still waiting for proof. Their is a lot to be said for a calving ease Angus for the first calve, 50% of the calves BW comes from mom and she is a crossbred. Your are setting her up for life on the first calf and if she is late getting bred back then that next calf is behind. Get a nice BR Midland calve out about a week early than breed her back to Sunseeker, Mamma's Boy, Heatseeker 1, or the bull of your choice. Better to get a live one and breed back easy than worry about the next great one. IMHO

Angus/Brangus":1nlp68jl said:
Go by the BW or Calving Ease number for your bull. If those numbers were low, then you should be o.k.. Your particular heifer may be able to handle even a larger BW!!! Just be observant and be able to call on a vet if needed. You'll be alright!!

High calving ease number is what you want along with low bw number.

Just use Pfred from ABS, no calving worrys and calves grow like gangbusters.

Latest posts