Ribeye comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

I was able to get a picture of steaks from both steers, not side by side but pictures can be side by side.
Noticeable to me the difference in color maybe lighting? Maybe not?
Hereford steer first
Second is the black steer with white on sides and legs.
View attachment 36996View attachment 36997
Due to the color difference... I gotta ask if the Hereford was a flightier animal.

Due to the color difference... I gotta ask if the Hereford was a flightier animal.
No typically our beef looks dark like that in the packaging, the lighter color of the second was what seemed different to me.
Both calves were extremely calm, and not flighty at all. I don't believe it to be a dark cutter issue.

No typically our beef looks dark like that in the packaging, the lighter color of the second was what seemed different to me.
Both calves were extremely calm, and not flighty at all. I don't believe it to be a dark cutter issue.
When I first looked at them I thought the second picture was grass-finished because of the yellowish color of the fat. But, I went back to your original post to see that it was not.

Did the darker color steaks hang or dry age longer? They both look good but if I was at the butcher shop I'd most likely buy the top package because of marbling and color.

Did the darker color steaks hang or dry age longer? They both look good but if I was at the butcher shop I'd most likely buy the top package because of marbling and color.
I don't know if it was longer, but probably not much, if it was it wouldn't have been more than a day probably. They hung for right around 3 weeks.
@sstterry the yellow fat could be some dairy influence. I purchased both calves and it was very possible due to some of the calf's markings and coloration that he had some dairy breeding.
He had white on his body in front of hips and a white foot or two, also had a light brownish ring around his muzzle, he was more like a real dark brown color instead of being actually black. I never could pin down what he was. When we bought him we thought he may be part Belted Galloway, but decided probably not as he had quite a bit frame and white on his feet. Always wondered about longhorn or kind of dairy cross and came to the conclusion it was probably dairy.

We're the ages the same on both or was the Hereford older-can't remember.
I don't know, both were purchased calves. The Hereford weighed around 550 or 570 can't remember exactly, the other calf weighed 620. No real way to know the the age the Hereford was still a bull at the time and was already getting masculine looking, we banded him. the black calf was a steer and had likely been handed young.

In college we measured out the rib eyes to get the square inches. Are these comparable in size. or is one noticeably larger than the other?

Hereford on the left... right? LOL
Not identical but probably not much difference in size. Again not a true equal test. It's highly unlikely to be cut from the same exact ribeye location on both calves. Just a random package of ribeye steaks from both calves.

Not identical but probably not much difference in size. Again not a true equal test. It's highly unlikely to be cut from the same exact ribeye location on both calves. Just a random package of ribeye steaks from both calves.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of the location. We measured when the cut was made to quarter a half, so a consistent location. My bad...

In college we measured out the rib eyes to get the square inches. Are these comparable in size. or is one noticeably larger than the other?

Hereford on the left... right? LO.
Both images were changed in total physical size, meaning package and all in order for them to fit on CT webpage without clicking to zoom. (assumed both were in the same size package) Retained the original aspect ratio for each individual image. And, vertically flipped the image on the right to show it in the same position as the cut on the left.