Ribeye compare

Help Support CattleToday:

Bob-s

Reaction score
Would you compare these three ribeye steaks? They are from 3 different animals. To identify them ... left is A, middle is B and right is C.

For example; best to worst, most to least appealing, amount of fat, marbeling, etc. Tell me what you think. If you have any recommendations how you would change their feed to improve them; for example more corn, less corn?

I have no doubt all three will eat well and taste good. Actually all 3 are in my freezer so I'll let you know.

I appreciate any comments
Bob

ribeye compare.jpg

You are asking a question I've been asking as well. My $0.02 -- intramuscular marbling seems consistent, seam fat/back fat perhaps is to large/to thick, and eye of the ribeye area could be increased. I say that because I'm saying that about my own steaks as we chase the elusive perfection. But overall there is much to like in that group (also hard to compare if they aren't all from the same rib).

What do your customers say? How are the steaks in terms of tendeness?

All 3 Angus, different animals and not from same rib. A is mine, B is my from my neighbor and C is from a processor's animal. Not positive of age, I know mine was 20 months old, B I'm guessing 15-18 and C no clue. Thanks for the input. I had the steaks and noticed the difference in marbling & fat content and thought it might be worth asking the experts here.

As far as taste, that test is coming and I will report back after the three hit the grill.

My next question is how to get future animals to a better than B stage at processing? How to get genetics, feed mix, age, weight etc. to align to produce the perfect rib eye?

Thanks for your input.

My next question is how to get future animals to a better than B stage at processing? How to get genetics, feed mix, age, weight etc. to align to produce the perfect rib eye?

Thanks for your input.

As MCR says above -- genetics.

Angus EPDs have some helpful information. However, for carcass measures (ribeye, marbling, fat) be sure to see how many animals are in the measurement (it's C/U, where C = carcass and U = ultrasound). If both are 0, then the measures are based I believe entirely on DNA/EPD prediction. I prefer to see actual harvested C figures because once those are entered the figures usually move a bit.

But a word of warning -- you still need to be aware of functional traits (fertility, mothering, structure) of your cows. A great carcass result isn't all that useful if the mother doesn't breed back.

Feed program and nutrition are so regional I don't feel like I can comment. What works up here in the cold north probably wouldn't in TX.

What did the rest of the carcass look like. If there is excessive fat deposited there could be a feeding problem. It is a tough call when you try to correct a very small part of the cascaras. A sharp knife and good trimming does wonders but it is tough on the cost.

I have great carcasses and NEVER look at carcass EPD's. All my cattle are bred for females. Females with fertility, growth, natural muscling, structure, easy keeping.
Getting a good carcass shouldn't be that hard. You can feed fast & hard to butcher at a younger age like I do - or stretch it out to finish 18 months old - or older.
The older the animal, the tougher the meat can get. Age is your enemy for tenderness but friend for marbling. No one on here can actually advise you without SEEING YOUR animals and environment and facilities.
Edit: appears your neighbor did a good job. He could advise. Just don't set your goals ONLY for carcass quality. That's how a lot of breeders have ruined their herd. COWS are most important.

I have great carcasses and NEVER look at carcass EPD's. All my cattle are bred for females. Females with fertility, growth, natural muscling, structure, easy keeping.
Getting a good carcass shouldn't be that hard. You can feed fast & hard to butcher at a younger age like I do - or stretch it out to finish 18 months old - or older.
The older the animal, the tougher the meat can get. [ Age is your enemy for tenderness but friend for marbling.] No one on here can actually advise you without SEEING YOUR animals and environment and facilities.
Edit: appears your neighbor did a good job. He could advise. Just don't set your goals ONLY for carcass quality. That's how a lot of breeders have ruined their herd. COWS are most important.

I am not so sure age is the enemy for tenderness so much as lack of adequate protein required to ensure a rapid rate of gain.
Weight rapidly acquired has a propensity for tenderness. Naturally there comes a point beyond any salvation of quality. jmpov

All 3 Angus, different animals and not from same rib. A is mine, B is my from my neighbor and C is from a processor's animal. Not positive of age, I know mine was 20 months old, B I'm guessing 15-18 and C no clue. Thanks for the input. I had the steaks and noticed the difference in marbling & fat content and thought it might be worth asking the experts here.

As far as taste, that test is coming and I will report back after the three hit the grill.

Thanks for your input.
B,A,C...

Not animals I would choose for my own table. I like easy keepers but these animals have a meat to fat ratio that is less than desirable for me. The one on the right would benefit from being trimmed appropriately, which is the processor's decision and not the way I would choose to have mine trimmed. And I like fat.
The problem with these steaks is that they have a high percentage of intramuscular fat by comparison to marbling. Each has nice marbling but too much intramuscular fat, making the proportion of muscle to fat inadequate and wastey.
IMO, no traditional feeding program will improve the results for these animals or produce better quality steaks. In fact I suspect these animals would have been best pasture finished with only a minimum of grain.

Times change and with the current fascination with Wagyu these may be the coming trend. But like many changes not every one is good for the industry or the consumer, and once implemented it's hard to go back.

Like everybody else says I'll rank them in the order of my initials B A C.
It would be interesting to see the live animals, and have records of weights, age, feeding regimen.
I would say to a point the frame of a calf would affect it a lot. A smaller framed calf that's easy fleshing is going to finish out sooner (smaller) and just put on fat after a certain point.
They need enough frame to yield a bigger carcass but a large frame doesn't always mean the largest ribeye measurement in a live animal.

Thanks for your input.
Just for the record. Was the breeding determined by taste or was there some other evidence of color and breeding before slaughter?
I must ask why would anyone inquire as to the breeding of slaughtered animals or do they believe a photo of a Hereford or whatever
carcass would reveal a different result? I have no intentions of letting up on this. Determining the quality of an animal by the color of
the hair is one of the most asinine movements in the history of American agriculture.

Just for the record. Was the breeding determined by taste or was there some other evidence of color and breeding before slaughter?
I must ask why would anyone inquire as to the breeding of slaughtered animals or do they believe a photo of a Hereford or whatever
carcass would reveal a different result? I have no intentions of letting up on this. Determining the quality of an animal by the color of
the hair is one of the most asinine movements in the history of American agriculture.
As much as I like to argue with you you have left me nothing to work with on this post.

Was the breeding determined by taste or was there some other evidence....?
I must ask why would anyone inquire as to the breeding of slaughtered animals?
I don't know anyone who can reliably determine breed by taste.
Why ask?
People like to know what they are eating and its' perceived value.
Holsteins bring less per pound than colored, as do brahma.
A. was home grown B. was the neighbors, so the breed for those 2 wouldn't be a secret.
Most butchers buy boxed beef and then cut it themselves for retail sale (unless the butcher is usda inspected) and the usda supplier may label the box by breed. To label as Wagyu 'influenced' animal must be a minimum of 3/8 Wagyu.

Last edited:

Take one of yours to the butcher and I will trade you a pure longhorn even up. Should be a fair trade since breed does not matter.:cool: