Retained Placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

we have a couple a year,... the cow that aborted a set of twins (and adopted the calf from the dry cow) retained it and it started to smell, we gave oxytocin, and nitrane/urea boluses, which are supposed to help break down the placenta, and if the smell is really bad, I put a couple cc of iodine in a gallon of water and clean her out with that, as well as dousing any placenta that hangs out with iodine. my "horse" also retained the placenta after having her 140 lb behemoth, with a couple boluses, and a small weight hung to the placenta (warning.. small!, we go with about 1 lb, or you may end up with a prolapse, and you'll be no better off then, and be extra careful when used in conjuction with oxytocin).

I'm glad to hear some views on this, as it's a common enough problem and there are a vast array of opinions.. I usually start to get worried after it's been retained for 2 days, as that's when infection starts to become an issue.

TexasBred":2vqdeiqa said:
It's also very inexpensive so no excuse to not have a bottle at all times.

But it does go out of date. Why add another expense unless it's a frequent problem.

dun":3557qt2l said:
TexasBred":3557qt2l said:

But it does go out of date. Why add another expense unless it's a frequent problem.

The least of my worries. Sort of like ephinephrine...It's cheaper than oxytocin but I never felt like I needed it til I lost a cow because I had none...Most manufacturers of all meds. build in a much longer shelf life than what is put on the bottle. (Your vet won't tell you that but the pharmacuetical salesman will).

TexasBred":19do7wi3 said:
dun":19do7wi3 said:
TexasBred":19do7wi3 said:

The least of my worries. Sort of like ephinephrine...It's cheaper than oxytocin but I never felt like I needed it til I lost a cow because I had none...Most manufacturers of all meds. build in a much longer shelf life than what is put on the bottle. (Your vet won't tell you that but the pharmacuetical salesman will).

Since we've never used either I don;t worry about it. I have enough trouble with antibiotics getting hard in the bottle to add one more thing to the list.

5cc (5 ml) is the correct dose for use after calving. For milk let-down, it's 1 - 2 ml oxytocin.

It's a prescription drug over here too, and I no longer let the dairy inspector see it on my medicines shelf. Between the insistence that every drug must be in date and every use kept in permanent records... I figured if she asked me a second time whether I used it and I said no, she'd remove it on the spot, if I said yes I'd get another lecture on the fact it wasn't evident in the treatment records.