Respiratory Issues....

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
We had a steer looking droopy on Saturday. Of course, we didn't have any of the big gun antibiotics on hand. :frowns: We loaded him up and ran him to the vet's. He had a bit of congestion and a temp of 103 but no nasal discharge, running eyes or cough and was not dehydrated. Vet hit him with banamine and Zuprevo. We've never used Zuprevo before....but then again we haven't had any respiratory issues in YEARS, literally. Fingers crossed this does the trick. Since this group of calves was weaned on October 1st, I thought we were past really worrying about this.

Yes. However we had an exceptionally rainy October ( 13+ inches) and some wild temperature changes in the last 7 weeks. He's temp is normal and he's chowing down like normal. Hopefully, it was just a random instance but we are watching the rest like a hawk.

From your comments TG it sounds as though you're you're a thoughtful and compastionate cattle producer. :tiphat:
Glad your calf is apparently recovering. In the best of circumstances weather challenges can challenge the best laid plans.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":t90w40bo said:
I never heard of Zuprevo. Always something "new and improved".
When I had my pneumonia nightmare with my weanlings I was thiiiis close to getting Zuprevo but my vet did caution if I accidently nick or puncture myself I'd better get to the hospital ASAP, similar to Draxxin & Micotil. Treating half my calves & already stressed, I opted for Resflor Gold.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/zuprevo-18.html

None of the others have shown any signs of illness; however, this guy is not eating like he should. No temperature, no running nose or eyes, no cough, not dehydrated and still hangs with the other calves. I'm thinking he probably has been sick longer than we realized and has lung damage.

The one we doctored two weeks ago with Nuflor that looked good last week was hacking Saturday along with another smaller calf. Gave each a dose of Draxxin Saturday and they both acted good yesterday. Will see how they continue to do. Seems what works one time doesn't the next.

I've had a few coughing with snotty noses. I've used Draxxin on some, Excede on others. We had a big snow storm Sunday and I sorted off 3 that looked droopy Saturday afternoon. I gave them LA-300. They've responded well to the LA-300. As long as I see good results, I'm going to keep using it instead of the high $$ stuff.

Texas Gal":7brzzl6m said:
None of the others have shown any signs of illness; however, this guy is not eating like he should. No temperature, no running nose or eyes, no cough, not dehydrated and still hangs with the other calves. I'm thinking he probably has been sick longer than we realized and has lung damage.
Hate to hear that. I doctored one last year (3 months old) for a month, hit him with everything but he didn't make it & I suspect the same thing because he seemed fine until one day he was lagging from the herd but must have been asymptomatic for a while - I probably just didn't catch it in time.

The only other thing I can think of for your little guy is Vitamin B Complex for energy & if a calf isn't eating well I give it a tube of Nursemate ASAP, which is intended for newborns but really seems to help. Can you (if you haven't already) bring him back to the barn? If he's still with the others & doesn't feel well is he getting pushed away from the feed bunk?

TCRanch":1hftwt0t said:
Hate to hear that. I doctored one last year (3 months old) for a month, hit him with everything but he didn't make it & I suspect the same thing because he seemed fine until one day he was lagging from the herd but must have been asymptomatic for a while - I probably just didn't catch it in time.

The only other thing I can think of for your little guy is Vitamin B Complex for energy & if a calf isn't eating well I give it a tube of Nursemate ASAP, which is intended for newborns but really seems to help. Can you (if you haven't already) bring him back to the barn? If he's still with the others & doesn't feel well is he getting pushed away from the feed bunk?

He's being fed separately. I even bought him some sweet feed in an attempt to whet his appetite. He also has access to a high energy protein tub. At this point, I'm trying anything I can think of.

It's just so weird that he's totally asymptomatic.We've never had one like this. Oh, well, I can only do the best I can; however, I still feel like I've let him down some how. :(

Texas Gal":3fm2akfd said:
TCRanch":3fm2akfd said:

He's being fed separately. I even bought him some sweet feed in an attempt to whet his appetite. He also has access to a high energy protein tub. At this point, I'm trying anything I can think of.

It's just so weird that he's totally asymptomatic.We've never had one like this. Oh, well, I can only do the best I can; however, I still feel like I've let him down some how. :(

I think we've all been there :( . Sending good luck - he may surprise you!

BRD (Bovine Respiratory Disease) can be viral or bacterial. The bacterial causes can be treated with antibiotics. Personally, I have had good luck with Nuflor. If it is viral, the only treatment is antiviral medications and they are too expensive to use for cattle.

76 Bar":h553fju9 said:
If the ill calves are home raised what is the health protocol of dams prior to calving?
I don't want to speak for Texas Gal but I believe they have a sound vaccination program. As do I. What many of us in the Midwest to the South are dealing with is epic swings in the weather, a literal 40 degree change from one day to the next. Throw in torrential rain/flooding then snow, then sunny with 50 mph wind gusts when it's back to 75 degrees - it's all a recipe for pneumonia on previously healthy calves (and cows). Many of us wean our Spring calves in late Sept/Oct - right when Mother Nature threw us a curve ball this year. I treated 24 weanlings for pneumonia, 2 of them twice and it was a nightmare. I'm fairly certain I made my vets monthly mortgage payment. Fortunately all responded and are now doing great. Until now, I've rarely had pneumonia in any of my cattle but will probably start giving my calves Inforce 3 day 1 along with their First Defense.

TCRanch":3tfvyh5v said:
76 Bar":3tfvyh5v said:
If the ill calves are home raised what is the health protocol of dams prior to calving?
I don't want to speak for Texas Gal but I believe they have a sound vaccination program. As do I. What many of us in the Midwest to the South are dealing with is epic swings in the weather, a literal 40 degree change from one day to the next. Throw in torrential rain/flooding then snow, then sunny with 50 mph wind gusts when it's back to 75 degrees - it's all a recipe for pneumonia on previously healthy calves (and cows). Many of us wean our Spring calves in late Sept/Oct - right when Mother Nature threw us a curve ball this year. I treated 24 weanlings for pneumonia, 2 of them twice and it was a nightmare. I'm fairly certain I made my vets monthly mortgage payment. Fortunately all responded and are now doing great. Until now, I've rarely had pneumonia in any of my cattle but will probably start giving my calves Inforce 3 day 1 along with their First Defense.

TCRanch

I am in Kentucky and our weather has been the same pattern of extremes. I give all my calves Inforce 3 [Intranasal vaccine for Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza 3 (PI3), Respiratory Synctial Virus Vaccine (BRSV)] at birth. I mean within minutes in most cases of them hitting the ground. I truly believe it is a major factor in the health of my calves. I know some very high profile Simmental Breeders in my area that have lost substantial numbers of calves this fall. Obviously, they are much bigger operations than mine and it taxes their resources to manage their cattle like I do mine. But I think you are making a significant improvement in your program by adding Inforce 3. Remember as I know you do, those three respiratory diseases are viral. Thus, the only defense is vaccination as antibiotics are useless.

Its a given the vagaries of Mother Nature wrecks havoc in the best laid plans. Thankful for noninvasive internasal vaccines. I too use probiotics when administering antibiotics.

TC isn't too far from me. Sunday, we had 60mph wind and 6" of snow. My calves are showing the stress of it now. Their respiratory vaccination hasn't done a lot to protect them. Local animal health store said many are saying the same thing.

Latest posts