• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Reseeding question?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Reaction score
This field was sprayed and then disked a couple weeks after that. It has some residue left, old grass that did not get totally done in by the disc. I would like to get it done as soon as possible in case it was to get too wet. Would it be ok to broadcast and then run a cultipacker over it or would you let it rain on it the use a drill one it.

We are supposed to get some rain out of Irma, 1-1.5 inches they predict.

Suggestions appreciated.

dun

Reaction score
I would broadcast it and just wait for the rain

OP
tom4018

tom4018

Reaction score
dun":286a1jle said:
I would broadcast it and just wait for the rain

Would you be concerned the residue would prevent some seed to soil contact?

How much rain would be too much on a new seeding?

dun

Reaction score
An inch of rain will wash the seed to the ground. If the water doesn;t run acrossed it or stand on it I would think that would be just the right amount of rain.

OP
tom4018

tom4018

Reaction score
dun":16k1b5s7 said:
An inch of rain will wash the seed to the ground. If the water doesn;t run acrossed it or stand on it I would think that would be just the right amount of rain.
Would you put rye or wheat with it as a cover for the winter? Wanted to mix seed with fertilizer to save some time. Thought rye might mix ok but didn't know about wheat.

ddd75

Reaction score
i'd broadcast it then run a drag then a cultipacker on it.

dun

Reaction score
tom4018":1t74mkqv said:
dun":1t74mkqv said:
Depends on what you are seeding it with
Planned on a fescue orchard grass mix.
Make sure it is one of the more recent OG cultivars. The older ones have palatability issues.

dun

Reaction score
I've been thinking. If there is any chance you will ever hay it, you might want to run the cultipacker over it or just a heavy roller to get the surface less irregular for haying.

OP
tom4018

tom4018

Reaction score
dun":3f65ldsv said:
I've been thinking. If there is any chance you will ever hay it, you might want to run the cultipacker over it or just a heavy roller to get the surface less irregular for haying.

Thanks for your advice, it is all done and raining on it. I hope I did a good job, most of the time I get disappointed in my results. Borrowed some bigger equipment as my little disc would not cut it up very good, was still amazed how trashy it was about 4 or 5 passes over it. Time will tell if I wasted my money and time.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Got to moldboard if you want to bury a lot of trash. It is easy to seed into trash, but there may be a lot of weed seed on the top. Need to clip it if your mix won't tolerate spray and the annual weeds start to take over.

Latest posts