replacements (bred heifers or bred cows)?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We will be in the market to buy replacements soon. I was reading an article written by Harlan Hughes and he was arguing for buying bred heifers, he wasn't against young bred cows but he studies the heck out of every possibility and he thought for now bred heifers might be the best choice. Thoughts?

Logic tells me that bred cows are the better bet, but I'm a sucker for heifers so that's how I would go. But I've also bought some older bred cows over the years and it seems like I've made more money in the long run on them.

From what I have seen in the market here bred cows are a better value. Bred heifers of about the same quality seem to be 200-300 more than 4-5 year old bred cows.

dun":3hfpsutj said:
Logic tells me that bred cows are the better bet, but I'm a sucker for heifers so that's how I would go. But I've also bought some older bred cows over the years and it seems like I've made more money in the long run on them.

That's someting to consider and consider hard. There's going to be a surplus of grass now that most of the herd is gone. Hay will probably be sold at a loss later this year.
Buy those old gals and calve them out. Check their teeth. Hang on to any that look like they may have a few more calves. If they go an extra month or two, what the heck. Its better than selling hay at a loss.

backhoeboogie":31d568r1 said:
dun":31d568r1 said:

That's someting to consider and consider hard. There's going to be a surplus of grass now that most of the herd is gone. Hay will probably be sold at a loss later this year.
Buy those old gals and calve them out. Check their teeth. Hang on to any that look like they may have a few more calves. If they go an extra month or two, what the heck. Its better than selling hay at a loss.
Better to let it rot in the field than sell for a loss....just my opinion

I sometimes have a hard time getting that second calf out of a heifer without special treatment. Don't have much trouble at all with 4-5 year olds. However, it's easier to find uniform strings of heifers. Most of the running age cows sell 1-5 at a time and you wonder why they are getting rid of them. If I could find 4-5 year olds in groups of 10-15 I would probably go that direction.

I'm with dun on this subject. I think the bred cows would be best, but I love getting the bred heifers (especially from a reputable breeder program). I will be doing that this year and probably the next, along with saving back some of my best Lim-flex heifers that I have raised.

cmay":1u41d6ut said:
I sometimes have a hard time getting that second calf out of a heifer without special treatment. Don't have much trouble at all with 4-5 year olds. However, it's easier to find uniform strings of heifers. Most of the running age cows sell 1-5 at a time and you wonder why they are getting rid of them. If I could find 4-5 year olds in groups of 10-15 I would probably go that direction.

Only way I know of to do that is a herd sell out. Otherwise I believe you are always buying someones culls. NOw that doesn't apply if you go to the farm and pay out the nose for cows the fella didn't really want to sell to begin with. But on the open market if she's for sale @ 4 or 5 most of the time she has some kind of problem.

Latest posts