Replacements and Wayward Mothers

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Please forgive the lighting. We don't get decent daylight until after 10:00 am.
Replacements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovR5_adbX64

Wayward mothers with their December calves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOEcvpHPYYc

I'm fairly happy with how the replacements are coming along. Just getting hay, haylage and about 3 lbs of mixed feed ration.
The baby calves seem to be pretty happy, hopefully they come through the winter alright. All four momma's seem to have plenty of milk and lots of mothering instinct.

Bright Raven said:
What is the average age of those replacements? They are nice. Good solid, stout bunch.

Thank you.They were born March /April, probably safe to use 3rd week of March for an average age so about 280 days I guess. I haven't weighed them but I'm thinking an average weight of 800 lbs give or take a little.
There is a pair in the bunch, not sure if visible in the video. It is a heifer that calved as a teenager late this summer and her calf is quite small. Also a small steer calf that had an infection in a hind leg this summer so I kept back this fall.

Silver said:
Bright Raven said:
What is the average age of those replacements? They are nice. Good solid, stout bunch.

Thank you.They were born March /April, probably safe to use 3rd week of March for an average age so about 280 days I guess. I haven't weighed them but I'm thinking an average weight of 800 lbs give or take a little.
There is a pair in the bunch, not sure if visible in the video. It is a heifer that calved as a teenager late this summer and her calf is quite small. Also a small steer calf that had an infection in a hind leg this summer so I kept back this fall.

I am not surprised at the 800 pounds. They look stout. You got a good future with those. How much Simmental is in your herd?

Bright Raven said:
Silver said:
Bright Raven said:

I am not surprised at the 800 pounds. They look stout. You got a good future with those. How much Simmental is in your herd?

Have been using high percentage and fullblood Simmental bulls for 8 or 9 years now, so the percentage is increasing over time. Most of the cows would be at least half, although some of the older ones could be less.

Latest posts