Replacement Heifer questions?

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
I have never raised my own replacement heifers but will wrap up fencing in there new spot this weekend. I have 5-8 or so picked out that could be weaned and one that should have been weaned. I have them with there mommas away from Bulls now. What is the longest you keep them on there mammas if they are going to be replacements and there Mommas are bred back. The problem is I have one that is almost 8 months old and still on her mom. The reason is the rest are all right at 6 months or a touch under and I want them all to go to the new farm and heifer lot together. They are going to another farm of ours. So I couldn't take her alone but I was not selling her. And if I pull her off mom and wean with bred cows they will eat all her feed, and I want her on feed soon as she comes off. I will be weaning the 8 month old asap as her momma looks great but still needs a rest before she calves. I don't want to pull the 6 month olds as some believe every day on mamma is important on replacements or is 6 months fine? 10 people 10 answer kind of deal I am running into. Also if I give all a shot of Lut is there any negative effects just incase a bull got one of them? As they have been in with big bull and two 6 month old bull calfs until a few days ago. Sorry for all the questions and being so long winded but

The 8 mos old way too long IMO to be on her mama. I kept darn near everyone of my heifer calves and when they were 5 mos they got pulled off and sent to a pasture away from the mamas. I do not see any problems with the lut personally but I never had that issue.

We wean our heifers just like all of the steers or bull calves. Around 6 1/2 to a little over 7 months. We gradually ramp them up to about 1 1/2 % of their weight (and increase it as they grow) for 45 days or so then turn the retained heifers back out with the bred cows if the bull has been pulled. If we winter the bull (and bull calves) with the bred cows we keep the heifers apart and put the coming 2 year old first calvers with them but they don;t get grain anymore.

I agree with what sky and dun have said. I would go ahead and pull the 8 month old off as well as the ones that are 6 months. I have pulled them off at 6 months many times to feed them out for replacements.

Thanks she is not quite 8 months but closing in. I know she needs to be weaned its just none of the others are at the 6 1/2 -7 month range they are close but I want them to get all than should get before weaned. She was born early and I want them all to go on feed together. I have spoke with some good heifer developers around here and all have said what Dun said no sooner than 6 1/2. But I'm all ears. Dun what's your theory on Lut on replacements? Thanks for the replies keep them coming

dun":yns5rtst said:
We wean our heifers just like all of the steers or bull calves. Around 6 1/2 to a little over 7 months. We gradually ramp them up to about 1 1/2 % of their weight (and increase it as they grow) for 45 days or so then turn the retained heifers back out with the bred cows if the bull has been pulled. If we winter the bull (and bull calves) with the bred cows we keep the heifers apart and put the coming 2 year old first calvers with them but they don;t get grain anymore.

So you only feed the heifers for 45 days or just ease it up for 45 days and feed until they are of breeding age?

My calves grow pretty darn quick I keep my feeders filled with Jumpstart that they have access too whenever they want. They watch the older calves go in and eat so they go in and start nibbling so for me 5 Months works. I have never waited to put all on feed together. I don't know as much as dun and others but I do know that the process I used worked well for me.

hicky214":2nbvmf63 said:
dun":2nbvmf63 said:

So you only feed the heifers for 45 days or just ease it up for 45 days and feed until they are of breeding age?
When we pull the baby bulls from the retained heifers we give them a shot of lute. 45 days is all the grain they get. The 45 day number is so the steers can be sold in the pro-conditioned sales. The rest is on stockpiled grass or hay. If the hay really sucks we'll put out a tub for them every month or so. We've never had issues with reaching breeding weight by the time we start to breed. The primary reason for the 6 1/2 months is that is what is convenient, 6 months wouldn;t be too early I don;t think. Here comes the caveat, we have selected genetics for years to get animals that will thrive under our warped managment methods.

I don't think 8 months is too old to wean. Weaning should be based cow condition, pasture condition, and post weaning management (sales, etc). If the cow is in good shape. You have plenty of feed. And you are waiting for others to get older to wean together. There is no reason to wean just based on age. By the time a calf is that age the actual amount of milk that the cow is producing is getting pretty low.

Dave":3tdecx5c said:
I don't think 8 months is too old to wean. Weaning should be based cow condition, pasture condition, and post weaning management (sales, etc). If the cow is in good shape. You have plenty of feed. And you are waiting for others to get older to wean together. There is no reason to wean just based on age. By the time a calf is that age the actual amount of milk that the cow is producing is getting pretty low.

I agree. If the cow is in good shape then leaving the calf on her until it's 8 months old is okay. That's when I wean most of mine (and sometimes a few of them will be 9 months). That's if you have plenty of grass and the cow is in good shape.

Thanks for the replies. Cow is in super shape. And god willing we have plenty of stockpiled pasture, and hayfields we are moving them around on.

To add even more, there are very large herds running around here that get worked once a year. That's to sell calves, anything they hold back will be weaned when the cow and calf decide its time. Not saying its right or wrong but many calves never get weaned with human intervention.

hicky214":vpzximm1 said:
I have never raised my own replacement heifers but will wrap up fencing in there new spot this weekend. I have 5-8 or so picked out that could be weaned and one that should have been weaned. I have them with there mommas away from Bulls now. What is the longest you keep them on there mammas if they are going to be replacements and there Mommas are bred back. The problem is I have one that is almost 8 months old and still on her mom. The reason is the rest are all right at 6 months or a touch under and I want them all to go to the new farm and heifer lot together. They are going to another farm of ours. So I couldn't take her alone but I was not selling her. And if I pull her off mom and wean with bred cows they will eat all her feed, and I want her on feed soon as she comes off. I will be weaning the 8 month old asap as her momma looks great but still needs a rest before she calves. I don't want to pull the 6 month olds as some believe every day on mamma is important on replacements or is 6 months fine? 10 people 10 answer kind of deal I am running into. Also if I give all a shot of Lut is there any negative effects just incase a bull got one of them? As they have been in with big bull and two 6 month old bull calfs until a few days ago. Sorry for all the questions and being so long winded but

I know what you're saying. I don't mind leaving a replacement on the cow a little longer. But, if it isn't convenient no big deal. I haven't noticed a big difference in taking replacements off at 6 months.
I usually pull them off the cow around six months anyway. If it works better for your arrangement I'd wean them all now. Check the sign.

fitz

The only thing I wean before 8 months old is a heifers first calf. I've been weaning a few calves a week, for a couple months now. All the cows seemed bagged up pretty big the next morning, so the calf is obviously getting something still. I figure it's cheap growth. They will be eating on my $ once I wean them.

LRTX1":21y78pwi said:
To add even more, there are very large herds running around here that get worked once a year. That's to sell calves, anything they hold back will be weaned when the cow and calf decide its time. Not saying its right or wrong but many calves never get weaned with human intervention.
I see that around here too. I also see yearling calves sucking cows that are trying to feed baby claves. Strange that the little calf usually turns out poorly or dies.

I seem to have pretty good production longevity in my herd. It could be genetics.....but it may help that I pull my calves off to give the ole girls a break well before the next calf. Any mammal is bound to be stressed having babies one right after another with the demands of pregnancy and nursing.
If you are turning over your cows like your underwear, it doesn't matter what you do. If you are wanting longevity from a certain cow(s) take care of them and give them a break. Personally I hate to see those great big calves butting a pregnant cow in the gut. JMO which is not worth much. :D

hicky214":262lhbnm said:
What is the longest you keep them on there mammas if they are going to be replacements and there Mommas are bred back.

It didn't matter whether the heifer calves were being considered as replacements or culled - they were weaned at the same time, and that was around 7 months of age. Mom has to have some time to recoup her body condition if she is going to be able to successfully raise another calf and nursing takes a lot out of her - especially when she is supporting a new calf developing. All things being equal, Mom will either raise a good calf or she won't. Leaving the calf on her longer isn't likely to make that much difference, but could cost you a lot in terms of breed back percentages and calf survival. I would suggest looking at each cow based on what she brings to your program, what kind of calf she weans at 7 months of age, what kind of feed it took to achieve that, and make your culling decisions from there.

I don't see a problem with leaving heifer calves on their dams in certain situations. I have heard of people leaving their replacement heifers in the main cowherd all year. Its definitely not for everyone, but it does work. I tried it last winter with one of my 6 year old, smaller framed, easier fleshing cows. She was holding condition really well (probably a BCS of 6.5). Her calf was looking really awesome, so I thought what the heck. I figured that if the heifer started sucking off her mom, when she calved again, I could just pull her then. She never sucked! She was also the best looking heifer out of all of my replacements! Some of the guys who are doing this claim that their replacement heifers make better cows because they get to be part of the herd the whole time. Not sure if its true, but nobody goes out and yanks the fawns, or elk, or buffalo calves off their dams at 7 months. So why are we so quick to do it with our cows? I do think you have to have the right kind of cow to make this work. You need cows that are easier fleshing to begin with, and lower milk. Calving season needs to be really tight as well. Nutrition needs to be monitored very closely. I don't think it would work all that great with first calf heifers, as it would probably hurt their conception rates. I am going to try it again this year with a few more and see how it works. Oh and the biggest benefit I see was the cost savings on the heifer development. Same feed as the cowherd.

Latest posts