renting hay ground

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I know it's been on here but I couldn't find much with my search. Would it be better to lease hay ground or cut on a percentage with the owner? Also what would be fair to both sides?

rc":1thdj5aq said:
I know it's been on here but I couldn't find much with my search. Would it be better to lease hay ground or cut on a percentage with the owner? Also what would be fair to both sides?
around here people that have land but no cows.sale their hay standing by the bale.like $6 a bale.an others that dont need all their hay would be glad todo a 50/50 splitt with the baler.just to get their hay baled.

There is quite a bit of land around here that is available for rent. I pay $10 acre. I take all of the hay and they are glad to have it cut.

rc":plz4rhg0 said:

Depends on a lot of things. Some have big impacts such as 1. Potential Yield 2. Fertilizer costs 3.Rental rates
Others have smaller impacts 1. Proximity to your operation 2. quality of grass/hay

You just have to put a pencil to it figuring average yields and go from there.

The owner seems to be content with a 80/20 split with me cutting baling and setting his hay aside when done. I know if fertilized it will produce very well. Is a 80/20 fair on paying for the fertilizer?

rc":18ce5yd6 said:
The owner seems to be content with a 80/20 split with me cutting baling and setting his hay aside when done. I know if fertilized it will produce very well. Is a 80/20 fair on paying for the fertilizer?

As bandit80 suggested, sharpen that pencil. Fertilizer and fuel costs are running pretty high this year.

rc":1i6z1qna said:

Do not fertilize without something in writing, unless it is only N.
20% doesn't seem bad rent.

grannysoo":28fep2z8 said:
$10.00 per acre is CHEAP rent. Lowest price for any land around here is $80.00 per acre.

And I thought I overpaid at $50/ac. Everything around here is tied up long term if you get as chance to lease some you better grab it.

80/20 sounds like a good deal. We got into a deal with a local farm a couple years ago before fertilizer went up. We do all the work and fertilize for 2/3 of the round bales. The nice thing is it's close. We can get most of the hay in our barn the day it is baled.

Latest posts