Renting a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Why rent a bull? Seems to me you could run an ad on Craigslist or put flyers at your local sale barns stating what your looking for. I hate to see a good bull go to slaughter, and will go out of my way to find someone that can use him. Go and ask a few of the larger operations around you for a used bull. You don't know till you ask.

highgrit":2kvw3c7o said:
Why rent a bull? Seems to me you could run an ad on Craigslist or put flyers at your local sale barns stating what your looking for. I hate to see a good bull go to slaughter, and will go out of my way to find someone that can use him. Go and ask a few of the larger operations around you for a used bull. You don't know till you ask.
I am with you. That was the point of my question. I can't pencil it out.. Don't you think you could buy a good bull for 5k, use it three months and sell it for close to that? Sure would not be a $1,500 swing.

When I got my first cows at first didnt have enough to warrant having a bull the man I bought my cows from loaned me his bull. I know some people here that have maybe 5 head that buy a bull they think looks good at the sale barn lets them breed and after they are bred sell the bull back at the market.

skyhightree1":2y9p8px0 said:
When I got my first cows at first didnt have enough to warrant having a bull the man I bought my cows from loaned me his bull. I know some people here that have maybe 5 head that buy a bull they think looks good at the sale barn lets them breed and after they are bred sell the bull back at the market.
Right... Makes sense.

HDRider":3iz5hjab said:
skyhightree1":3iz5hjab said:
Right... Makes sense.
It only makes sense if it has passed a recent BSE and has been tested clean for trich. Had in meighbor years ago that would buy a bull at the sale barn each year, ones that looked good to him and was cheap. I think the cheap part was his first concern since I wouldn;t have wasted the money on any of them he brought home. One year all of his cows aborted. Looking back I think the bull he bought probably had trich. He ended up one year with no calves and they were all late calving the following year sired by a guernsey longhorn cross. Don;t know if that was a residual from the first bull or something with the second one.

dun":2nxne7p9 said:
HDRider":2nxne7p9 said:
skyhightree1":2nxne7p9 said:
Right... Makes sense.
It only makes sense if it has passed a recent BSE and has been tested clean for trich. Had in meighbor years ago that would buy a bull at the sale barn each year, ones that looked good to him and was cheap. I think the cheap part was his first concern since I wouldn;t have wasted the money on any of them he brought home. One year all of his cows aborted. Looking back I think the bull he bought probably had trich. He ended up one year with no calves and they were all late calving the following year sired by a guernsey longhorn cross. Don;t know if that was a residual from the first bull or something with the second one.
Got it..

AllForage":we04lre4 said:
There is also vibriosis besides trich that is s venereal disease
I figured everyone vacinates for that. No vacination I know of for trich. 's probably a BIG assumption to make though.

gizmom":71pznlp9 said:
http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/main/cattle/TrichGuard.html

For what it's worth I don't know how good it is.

Gizmom
I'll have to check with our vet. We already vaccinate for vibrio and lepto. Always have, always will.

My neighbor bought a registered bull from a Vet who leases them. He had to wait until the bulls were returned before he could select his. I believe the bulls rented for $100 per month.
I do not know how many cows the young bull serviced but he was screwed down pretty hard.

$600 per 90 day breeding season is a price I heard a guy here in NC was getting , I dont know if they were any other details such as weight gain or loss, and delivery ,

The trich vaccine is very poor. It will not prevent infection but should help clear animals more quickly once they become infected. It's main use is in areas where trich is endemic and herds can't get rid of it, primarily the southeast. If you have never had a trich positive animal and follow good trich prevention practices when adding to the herd, the vaccine is of no value.

I just put an ad online that said I needed a bull for the summer for my heifers. Another farmer answered. I hot my 4 girls covered and he got his bull fed for 3 months and two just weaned heritage hogs out of the deal!

TheFunnyFarm":cbomu65l said:
I just put an ad online that said I needed a bull for the summer for my heifers. Another farmer answered. I hot my 4 girls covered and he got his bull fed for 3 months and two just weaned heritage hogs out of the deal!
That's how you do it right there.

HDRider":8xski807 said:
TheFunnyFarm":8xski807 said:
That's how you do it right there.
No kidding! Great deal.

Latest posts