Renting a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
Any of you ever rent or borrow a bull? I have four heifers that I want to keep as replacements, my herd bull is the sire of all four heifers. I would consider placing them on another farm with a quality bull for bout 60 days. Any of you other smaller operators ever done this? If so, what would the going rate be for the service of a bull?
Any thoughts?

I lone out a few bulls each year to a couple friends/ neighbors. They are small time guys with just a handful of cows. Works out well for both of us, they get a bull to use, and I don't have to feed them over the winter.
They have closed herds, and 2 of the 3 guys only have cows they bought from me. So trich, and other disease isn't a concern.
That is one thing to keep in mind when borrowing or renting a bull.

There is a guy here who raises bulls. He will rent one if he has some left overs. Last I knew he was charging 30$ a live calf. Most of these bulls are towards the lower end and picked over. Seems plenty reasonable to me.

I'm not sure of your schedule or setup, but don't rule out Ai.

T & B farms said:
I lone out a few bulls each year to a couple friends/ neighbors. They are small time guys with just a handful of cows. Works out well for both of us, they get a bull to use, and I don't have to feed them over the winter.
They have closed herds, and 2 of the 3 guys only have cows they bought from me. So trich, and other disease isn't a concern.
That is one thing to keep in mind when borrowing or renting a bull.

I do the same. Works out good for both of us.

I am super small time. Two mama's. So we do AI. My AI tech keeps them 10 days does the implant, grass hay, cubed and breed with however many straws I want to use. Price for everything $120 a head and I buy the straws. He also keeps left over straws for me in case they don't take. He is 93% breed first straw so I am very pleased with him.

Bamadan said:
Any of you ever rent or borrow a bull? I have four heifers that I want to keep as replacements, my herd bull is the sire of all four heifers. I would consider placing them on another farm with a quality bull for bout 60 days. Any of you other smaller operators ever done this? If so, what would the going rate be for the service of a bull?
Any thoughts?

I had a guy a few months ask to lease one of my bulls. So I asked him for a detailed account of his vaccination program.....the conclusion.....NO! If you can get a bull from a closed herd and know your cows are clean, it's a go, in the past I've charged $30 per cow to be covered and you break him you own him.

I am a small herd farmer myself. this year I had four heifers to breed. I just synchronized them and bred them AI. all four settled on first breeding. I also AI my cows myself so it is not much extra time/labor to do the heifers. No worries about disease, no extra feed, and no extra moving bull around. The one time that I did use the neighbors bull a long time ago, he got into a disagreement with the other neighbors bull, and I ended up replacing a good section of fence. hope things work out good for you whichever way you go.

Bamadan said:
Any thoughts?
AI would be good for what your doing. I've herd of people narrowing bulls around me. Never renting. If your in good standing with your neighbors I see no reason why someone wouldn't let u use a bull for a month or two of free feeding. Just my opinion and how we do things around me.

Didn't get any bites from cold-calling local operations, but the ranch I bought my heifers from leased me a nice former show bull for $250 for 75 days. Good luck!

I've charged $750 for a leftover yearling in the past. The guy kind of thought that was high though. The way I figure it, part of what you're paying for is the bull, the other part is for him to leave when you're done with him.

Yes. Hire rate very fair. Had a bull breakdown and it was swapped fairly quickly.
Only downside you may not have heaps of choice breed wise. But if your a little guy like me something is better than nothing.

Latest posts