Remodeled barn and cow pics

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score

Remodeled my old loafing barn this past summer. It was set up for dairy heifers with individual stalls. Made it into a flat barn with 7 different pens and headlocks. The barn is 40' by 82'

A shot of it during the fall.

Part of the barn with pens holding feeders waiting for the cattle truck. These headlocks were built with hinges on both ends so I can swing them and use them as crowd gates when loading. It's a 12' by 40' pen that can be divided up into 3 separate 12' by 13' pens. Handy for freshening, or treating cows.

26 headlocks for the older cows. I feed all my hay inside. The manger is wide enough to get a tractor down it with a 5' bucket on the front.

012AAF13-6716-4092-B29A-CE1EAC0BC556_zpsfjpstxbs.jpg

A few of my month old calves. Thanks for lookin'! :tiphat:

Makes my 120 year old barn with a leaky roof and plastic sheeting lining the walls to keep out the wind look pretty poor.

I was hoping to get power there a few years ago - we still run on an extension cord

I never was able to keep up with the Jones families

Looks good - real good

Bez

Very impressive!
I see you have concrete floors. ( I think )
What provisions have you made for urine drainage and manure clean out?

Liz

NC Liz 2":2x0hm4wm said:
Very impressive!

Liz

Dang Sir Liz, for a feller-gal who knows so much about everything you should know that cows don't do their business in a barn that nice, they go outside of course.

Thanks for the comments. My buddy took a few years of engineering classes in college. I pretty much sketched it out on a piece of cardboard with a pencil and he put it in a CAD program and made everything work.

NC Liz 2":neb5ro2t said:
Very impressive!

Liz

Liz, the floors are all concrete. We ended up pouring 4" over the existing concrete and sloped it a bit towards the doors, mainly to keep the rain from running in. A 4X4 bale of bedding hay a week will keep them pretty dry. The concrete guy had a regular mag float and a mag float that put the ridges in the concrete. Helps give the cows some traction.

I have a "manure alley" where I can back the spreader in to clean the barn. It has two 12' gates that open into the cow pen to clean it out. I take out about 3 loads of manure every other week in the winter. The manure alley is also doubles as a feed manger for the calves and heifers, as well as a crowd pen when loading cows. The alley is on the other side of the red gates in the following pic.

And another shot of the cows from summer. Hay, grass and mineral is all they get. They are easy keepers. :D

cmf1":2jwpc98k said:
God facilities are as nice to look at as good cattle.
Looks like you got both.

Thanks for the compliments. I like looking at other people's cattle and facilities on here. Great way to get some real good ideas. :nod:

Latest posts