REMEMBER WHEN.....

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
Some memories I've been blessed with.
In no certain order.

>Coke was cola, and only cost a nickel.

>A bottle of Dr. Pepper with a bag of salted peanuts poured in.

>An A&W rootbeer float.

>Fried apple pies fresh out of Granny's iron skillet.

>Cathead biscuits and blackstrap molasses.

>Going to the garden with Granny, with a salt shaker borrowed from the kitchen table in the pocket of your bib overalls.

>Bib overalls.

>Sitting on the porch with your first cup of coffee for the day, watching the sunrise.

>Alone on a hilltop, sitting on a fine horse, looking at God's creation.

>Looking into the face of your newborn child.

>Serving my country. "Semper Fi".

>Playing your last highschool football game, knowing that a part of your life had ended.

>Going to college, knowing a part of your life had just begun.

>Watching "Ole Yeller" with a box of tissue,(not for me of course.)

>Children saying "Yes Sir, and Yes Ma'am."

>Going to pick blackberries, and eating more than you put in the bucket.

God has blessed me with these and many more.
May God bless and keep you all.

black jack gum
movie and popcorn and a soda less than a buck
ribbons in her hair
party lines
outhouses with a half moon in the door
montgomery wards,
sears robuck,
dime store
four foul balls you're out

Playing your last highschool football game, knowing that a part of your life had ended.

Yes 'um..had to do that this year,but only i cheered it was the hardest thing ever but, i think whats going to kill me is walking out of that show ring in houston this year, makes me sad thinkin about :(

Coke was cola, and only cost a nickel

Remember opening the coke box and the smell of the cold air from the box as you slid the bottle out of it?

Remember when kids drank straight from the garden hose?

Remember when water didn't come in bottles and homes & offices didn't have water coolers - it came from a dug-out to a tap in the house or the well hand-pump out in the yard?

Remember rotary dial phones and party lines?

Speaking of party lines, remember having to dial zero, and having to give the operator the long distance number you were trying to call?

Remember thinking that having an eight track player in a vehicle was pretty hi-tech?

Take care.

Remember thinking that having an eight track player in a vehicle was pretty hi-tech?

Do you remember the four track players?

I still do the Dr. Pepper and peanuts. Black Jack gum is terrible and my inlaws still have a rotary phone.

Scotty

CattleAnnie":2e86pmjy said:

Not a kid anymore, but water straight from a garden hose still tastes pretty darned good!! ;-)

warpaint":1c6utz6r said:
Watching "Ole Yeller" with a box of tissue,(not for me of course.)

That box of tissues would be for me and I'm not a bit ashamed to admit it, either!

Never did the Dr Pepper and nuts but did a lot of Coca Cola and salted nuts. :lol:

CattleAnnie":1a2ir5gi said:

Remember when water didn't come in bottles and homes & offices didn't have water coolers - it came from a dug-out to a tap in the house or the well hand-pump out in the yard?

Remember rotary dial phones and party lines?

Speaking of party lines, remember having to dial zero, and having to give the operator the long distance number you were trying to call?

Take care.
Oops, I remember two longs and a short (crank phones, and asking Myrtle to get grandma for me)

Ah yes, the days when phone numbers were only 6 digits, no area codes and no zip codes. But those are a fairly new invention.

dun

dun":2gnwsskw said:
Ah yes, the days when phone numbers were only 6 digits, no area codes and no zip codes. But those are a fairly new invention.

dun
Dun, Can you elaborate, on this time frame of no Zip Codes, and six digit numbers? No area codes? I'm trying my hardest to age you... :shock:

Crowderfarms":2ctmlumm said:
dun":2ctmlumm said:

dun
Dun, Can you elaborate, on this time frame of no Zip Codes, and six digit numbers? No area codes? I'm trying my hardest to age you... :shock:

I got him for you Crowder. He is older than dirt. :lol:

I don't remember 6 digit phone numbers, didn't make long distance calls as a kid so don't know about area codes, I do however remember no zip codes. So that puts me somewhere between dirt and polluted air I would suspect.

flaboy+":1lurfqdq said:
Crowderfarms":1lurfqdq said:
dun":1lurfqdq said:

dun

I got him for you Crowder. He is older than dirt. :lol:

I don't remember 6 digit phone numbers, didn't make long distance calls as a kid so don't know about area codes, I do however remember no zip codes. So that puts me somewhere between dirt and polluted air I would suspect.
Shoot Flaboy, I guess your're a heck of a lot older than me.I remember a time that you could call Nashville with just dialin a "1" now you have to dial the Area Code.Been that way for quite a while.

Crowderfarms":3beeva84 said:
dun":3beeva84 said:

dun

Probably early 50's. I remember when they added another digit to the phone number, confused the snot out of me. Until then the prefixes were words and not numbers, like Gladstone (GL), Emerson (EM), etc. LOnf distance was dieal zero and have th operator conenct you. Even into the 70's, one place I called you could only call between 9am and 7pm because that's when the operator was sitting in the little trailer. The routing was through several towns and then the long and short rings for the individual. In that area any other time you wanted to call someone you just picked up the phone and dialed a zero and everybodys phone woould ring. All dozen or so of them

dun

Crowderfarms":5a7rhv9h said:
Thanks for the History lesson. I was not even thought of back then.Guess that was back in the good ol' days...

When you gave your phone number you didn;t do the prefix as digits even after they added the 7th digit. It was still Emerson 2 1140 and not 362 1140.

dun

Can you remember sitting on the porch, after a hard days work, having a glass of ice tea and watching the kids chase lighting bugs.

Being tired, but still like your job.

Latest posts