REMEMBER WHEN.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":3c00vdbh said:
dun":3c00vdbh said:
Ah yes, the days when phone numbers were only 6 digits, no area codes and no zip codes. But those are a fairly new invention.

dun
Dun, Can you elaborate, on this time frame of no Zip Codes, and six digit numbers? No area codes? I'm trying my hardest to age you... :shock:

He's actually just a kid. I can remember 4 digit phone numbers!

flaboy+":nnvr7ury said:
I remember walking into the Krispy Creme wearing a pistol on my hip on the way to go hunting. Having doughnuts with the local cops at the same time. 4AM.

flaboy,

In FL I think its still legal as long as your on your way to or from hunting or fishing.

Chris

I remember my family going to the drive-in picture show.

Pop would back the flatbed up to the microphone stand. We would break out a picnic lunch, and sometimes............cut a watermelon or make homeade ice cream.

We must have looked like the "Beverly Hillbillies" with the lawn chairs on the truck.......but......... we had a ball!

MikeC":18zhi7kd said:
I remember my family going to the drive-in picture show.

Pop would back the flatbed up to the microphone stand. We would break out a picnic lunch, and sometimes............cut a watermelon or make homeade ice cream.

We must have looked like the "Beverly Hillbillies" with the lawn chairs on the truck.......but......... we had a ball!
Today, to look like the Beverly Hillbillies would be a compliment compared to some of what you see out there.

I'm younger than some of you all but I still remember when there were only 2 types of gas... regular or ethyl. (when I went to college in 78, gas was 67.9 for unleaded)

you could get all kinds of candy for .01
soda was only in glass bottles
my brother and I had to churn the milk into butter

riding my shetland pony over to the post office to get the mail, 3 miles away because they wouldn't let us have a mailbox on our county road (that ended when the postmaster made mom mad, she returned our mail one time because the rivers were up and we couldn't get out to get it and the letter had at the top return after 3 days) but the mailbox still ended up being a mile away from the house but made for a pleasant walk.

we got our first phone (rotary dial) in 1969 - again the phone company wouldn't put in lines across the river

remember the only tv you could get was black n white and had a round picture

remember when they had decent shows on tv: Walt Disney was every sunday night, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Bonanza, Red Skelton and of course us kids had to watch Fury every morning.

I miss hearing the whipporwills. There just aren't any in this area.

MoGal":2ikj4w2s said:
I miss hearing the whipporwills. There just aren't any in this area.

Come over this direction in the sumer, you'll get tired of hearing dozens of them all night long. They just never shut up

dun

Too bad we had to watch it in black/White

You were supposed to put one of those screen covers on your TV that had blue at the top, clear in the middle and green on the bottom. Then you could enjoy the "color television". Of course we couldn't afford the things so we enjoyed the b/w set. But boy was it tiresome to get up and change the channels. We had three to chose from, four if the wind was from the right direction.

Yup! My dad had 5 remotes. When he wanted the channel changed one of us had to stand by the set and flip till he found what he wanted to watch. Back and forth thru all 3 of em. :lol:

The gas price wars back in the 60s...19 cents a gal. And bulk oil was 15 cents a quart...seened the trucks always took a quart or two every two bucks worth of gas.
Didn't have TV until I was in 5th or 6th grade...Friday nights fights sponsered by Gillette razor blades and victory at sea.
Going up stairs after supper to pull the carpet off the vent to let the heat from the kitchen stove warm the bedroom.
Sisters still have family recipes listing the oven temps by how many and what size logs to use.
There was a pump handle on the kitched sink and one in the front yard.
Fun to visit cousin Justin cause he didn't have electricity yet and thought the lamps were cool...had them in the parlor but they were for show, his were for real.
Really miss the course grained sugar we put on buttered fresh bread, now my cardiologist would have my butt if I mentioned it and honey always on the table.
Turpentine was a medical cure all...had my young fingures dipped in it with splinters, bites and whatever injury I had.
Better stop, got things to do and I'm starting to feel more seasoned.
How do you know that your over the hill when you haven't made it to the top yet.
DMc

A&W root beer floats were called black cows.
Old milking machine would quit and have to milk by hand before milkman showed up.
Finding out what indoor plumbing was all about (1960).
Zip codes early 60's
Placing pennies on the RR tracks.
Having enough snow to make and play fox and goose.
The cold water milk coolers.
Terorise (sp) the neighborhood with your buddies and have dad waiting with the strap when you got home.
outhouse tipping (sometimes empty).
Could go on but dang I've aged myself.

i remember when we didnt have internet. does anyone remember the "encyclopedia?"

dun":hvj1v9da said:
msscamp":hvj1v9da said:
la4angus":hvj1v9da said:
msscamp":hvj1v9da said:
jw":hvj1v9da said:
Can anybody remember back when gasoline was $1.98????[/u]

I remember a time when it was less than that!
I remember paying $0.19 Per Gal.

I can't remember that price, but I do remember paying less than a dollar a gallon.

I have no short term memory and I can remember taht. In 98 it was only 87 cents a gallon around here. That 1998 not 1898

dun

I remember .87/gallon. I think I remember .67/gallon, also. Gasoline was a necessity, prices were pretty much the same in the general area and I didn't pay much attention to the prices. :oops:

How many remember soda counters at the drugstore and real vanilla cokes?

Pulling a 2-12 Dearborn plow behind an 8N Ford...
Whizzing behind the house, with no neighbors to offend...
3-4 channels of TV, depending on rabbit ear positioning..
Iced tea on the front porch on a hot summer day...

Oh, wait.. That's my life now, and I'm 27.. :lol: