Remember the Oleo "Mother Nature" Commercials

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Jingle was you don't mess with her. Well she is messing with us, probably the majority of visitors to this forum and then some.

Spring was pretty normal. Got a first cutting off. Some of it was OK and the rest had to be fed out as it was hot from too much moisture. Then comes the summer drought. Then in September she decides she's been a bad girl and turns on the faucets.

Well the second cutting, which really started growing in Sept. is out there but of no use since you can't get to it and even if you could it wouldn't cure. Everything is a mud hole. Hope IRS understands.

Kentucky is on course to set a record for annual precipitation. Long range forecast is making the odds of a new record very high.

Yep...managed to navigate the sparse rainfall and even baled a little hay before the rain stopped. Calculated guess that it might get some rain in September paid off too. Pastures recovered nicely. Knew oats planted this early were at risk by army worms but took that chance. Thankfully the grass has been able to outgrow the cows and worms munching on it. The oats not so much.

Finally got most of my remaining spring calves weaned yesterday that are at a remote location. I built the pens away from the road to discourage theft like everyone tells you to do but it sure makes it tough when it gets muddy.

I took a tractor over there the day before to be safe and glad I did as I had to pull the truck and loaded trailer out of the pen area. One good thing about it, the calves look top notch and heavy. We will weigh them up and work them tomorrow and maybe turn them into some oats if the oat field will dry up some. Glad we got it done as it rained another 1 1/2" yesterday afternoon.

I put peas in again this winter. Was first of Sept. and was waiting on some inoculant as the feed store was out. Since I had been putting them in without any and had really nice responses with the N nodules on the roots, I decided....heck with it; hadn't done it before and they produced..... Put them in and glad I did. No chance to get in the field since.

We got a couple of inches of rain, mostly gentle, out of the stuff that came by yesterday, a little thunder, winds ok. Seems the farther East it went the meaner it got. N. MS got whacked pretty good I see on the news.

Latest posts