Registering Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

nathanm

Reaction score
Ever since I can remeber my family farm has been small. Now, our herd growing and I was wanting to look into how to register cattle. So, if someone can help me with info or the like, I'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks a lot!
Nate

Oh. Snap. WELL, I guess that answers that question. You can't have a vet check em and send it to an association or something?

(Sorry, Like I said , I'm new to this sort of thing.)

Nate

OK - you want to register cattle?

First - what is the breed?

Second - contact that breed association and they will give you all the requirements.

Each breed has different requirements - so the answer is impossible with the info you have provided.

Bez

A general rule of thumb is that in order to register an animal, the sire & dam must already be registered. If they aren't...well, the process gets very complicated (sometimes impossible).

Contact the specific breed association that registers cattle of your breed.

nathanm":2bl2prnl said:
Ever since I can remeber my family farm has been small. Now, our herd growing and I was wanting to look into how to register cattle. So, if someone can help me with info or the like, I'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks a lot!
Nate

Nathan, the CattleToday Home Page has links to most of the Breed Associations. Look down the left side, I think it says "Associations." Click on Herefords (Polled are included) and either email the Association for information or surf the site and see if the informtion is there. Good luck....

Is'nt the hereford herdbook closed?
That would mean that both the sire and dam of your cattle would have to be registered with the society/association, otherwise you will not be able to register them.

Most UK societys have an age limit on cattle registration, is this true of US breed associations too?

farmer rich":1hy5gprs said:
Is'nt the hereford herdbook closed?
That would mean that both the sire and dam of your cattle would have to be registered with the society/association, otherwise you will not be able to register them.

Most UK societys have an age limit on cattle registration, is this true of US breed associations too?

I think the Hereford herdbook is closed, but I raise Angus, so that's why I suggested he contact the Hereford Association directly.

The American Angus Association doesn't have an age limit as far as I know. It costs more to register them as they get older, but as long as you have the proper infomation, they can be registered.

nathanm":3gsineya said:
Well, thanks once again, everyone. FYI they're Herefords and I'll see what I can turn up. I've got research to do.

Thanks
Nate

The sire and the dam must be registered for you to register them.

SF":2xrf6t5f said:

This is true, but check with the Hereford Assoc. You might be able to go back a couple generations to register cattle based on known lines (ie: Grandpa's and Grandmas were registered, and mom and dad weren't, but you could still register mom and dad, based on the grandparents, then register their offspring. Call AHA registrations. They will explain it all, and tell you what doing something like that would cost...$$$. ;-)

1848":24v86bhq said:
SF":24v86bhq said:

This is true, but check with the Hereford Assoc. You might be able to go back a couple generations to register cattle based on known lines (ie: Grandpa's and Grandmas were registered, and mom and dad weren't, but you could still register mom and dad, based on the grandparents, then register their offspring. Call AHA registrations. They will explain it all, and tell you what doing something like that would cost...$$$. ;-)

You are correct. That would work.

Latest posts