Refried beans

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
What exactly is refried beans and do someone have a recipe? Is it usually served as a side, main course and with what else?

Years ago we ate at the Texas Embassy steak house in London, the steak was served on a bean concoction that they called refried beans. Strange combination as it was it was quite tasty and I want to try it again.

Dry feta.....parmesan cheese and refried beans.............NOT!

A good recipe for a more authentic/ethic refried bean.....take this and mash them up. Not saying that the cheese and stuff isn't any good and a classy uptown restaurant can't just plop a spoonful of mashed beans on a plate, but that is a different thing next to the everyday staple.

file.php

They are a side dish, but also a great chip dip with tortilla chips. Heat them up, add some shredded cheese to melt over the top. A second bowl for salsa a cold beer an you're there. They're also good in burritos. Ground hamburger on a flour tortilla top with refried beans. I add shredded cheese, onions, sliced black olives and some shredded lettuce.... A little hot sauce......okay it sounds like a taco but the end result is the same you may eat too much.

Alan

Alan":osy7h7om said:
They are a side dish, but also a great chip dip with tortilla chips. Heat them up, add some shredded cheese to melt over the top. A second bowl for salsa a cold beer an you're there. They're also good in burritos. Ground hamburger on a flour tortilla top with refried beans. I add shredded cheese, onions, sliced black olives and some shredded lettuce.... A little hot sauce......okay it sounds like a taco but the end result is the same you may eat too much.

Alan

WOW, How does someone from Oregon know so much about re fried beans ?
There are tacos in Oregon...I guess I need to get out more. :lol:

Sure a lot fancier then mine. A coule of hunks of ham, 4-5 coffee mugs of pinter beans, ahlf an onion and water. Get them started boiling then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 8 hours. The next day reheat what few beans are left.

ROCKSPRINGS":29yrk6mg said:
Alan":29yrk6mg said:

Alan

WOW, How does someone from Oregon know so much about re fried beans ?
There are tacos in Oregon...I guess I need to get out more. :lol:

Well, we have a whole bunch of great folks here. They are really lucky, all they have to do is sneak across the southern U.S. Border and they get to get ID's, can work and not pay taxes. They can send the money home, they also get free medical and welfare benefits because guys like me have to pay for it because my government says I have to.... If they say so I guess it's okay. They get to commit violent crimes and go to prison that are great places compared to the ones in their country..... Oh guys like me pay for that to..... I get side tracked..... I've liked refried beans most of my life here in Oregon.... But must confess mine come in a can.

Alan

Nothing like re fried beans on a tortilla chip covered with graded cheese and a slice of jalapeno on top. Very popular in restaurants down here, They call them "nachos". Make about a dozen and a few ice cold long necks and watch the NBA game tonight. By the way, if you think it is bad up there you should live 60 miles from the border. I guess I will stop before someone thinks this is getting political. Can you imagine, a re fried bean post that got locked :lol: :lol:

ROCKSPRINGS":cd7gyz9w said:
Nothing like re fried beans on a tortilla chip covered with graded cheese and a slice of jalapeno on top. Very popular in restaurants down here, They call them "nachos". Make about a dozen and a few ice cold long necks and watch the NBA game tonight. By the way, if you think it is bad up there you should live 60 miles from the border. I guess I will stop before someone thinks this is getting political. Can you imagine, a re fried bean post that got locked :lol: :lol:

:D That is why I was surprised to see your recipe that suggests using feta....just wouldn't expect that from your territory. :lol:

Vet that's a great recipe for the Charro beans...no need messing them up by smashing them tho. Love'em just like that.

Basically, Knersie, you cook up some pinto beans and then you smash them to a paste. The key ingredient is pinto beans, they have more flavor than kidney beans, navy beans, etc. The rest of the flavorings are optional.

Some people like them with hot chili's in them. Here, you can buy them canned, with or without chili's, fat-free, all kinds of varieties. The canned ones are good enough for me, I never bother to make them from scratch.

We use them for chip dip, as an extra filling in burritos, etc. You go to a Mexican restaurant around here and you usually get a little serving of them on the side of your entree.

Latest posts