Texas beans

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Some years back we were in the Edwards Plateau area on a group cattle trip. Many of the places we ate had a serving or a dish of pinto beans with no obvious other food mixed in the beans but a good flavor from some spices. I asked several times and all they called them were pinto beans or Texas beans. They were cooked in house and were not canned. Any Texans on here have an idea of a basic recipe? Here in SC, it is pintos with some sort of smoked pork and water. They are good but I was wanting a different taste for a change. Thanks.

Hmmm....lots of charro bean recipes out their.....I've had to revise how I cook pintos because my wife likes "plain" cooked beans so I've had to stop putting in a can of rotel....even if I spin it up in a blender she still complains if I used to much but I think it adds a lot of flavor you are missing. Mine goes something like this.....

About a quart of dry pinto beans
A pint of beef or chicken stock plus enough water to cover beans about 3 inches
About a tablespoon of onion powder
About a teaspoon of garlic powder
Half teaspoon of fine ground black pepper
Tablespoon or two of salt...start with one and adjust after the are cooked. Salty ness will depend on how much liquid you have cooked away
3 or 4 slices of bacon.

Start rendering the bacon but don't cook it.
Add everything else and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover wit lid and slow simmer for 2 or 3 hours. Keep an eye on your liquid level and check tenderness of beans. As they near the end of cooking, if I have a lot of liquid left I remove the lid to let the steam escape. You will have to turn up the heat to compensate for the heat loss.

If you don't mind chunky bits of onion and garlic in the beans you can mince and dice it up instead of using powder. Try it with the rotel also. Gotten to where I would rather have it blended rather than just dumpped in also. In my opinion they are better the day after cooking so I cook a day in advance and reheat the day the are needed. One less thing to have to worry with the day of.

Give me a few days and I'll post up the recipe this is derived from.

Wife's recipe is pretty simple. First she insists on nothing but Casserole Brand pinto beans. There is a difference and these are exceptional. She doesn't soak, just puts them in water and on the stove top usually some ham or sometimes bacon along with salt and black pepper and when you need to add liquid use chicken broth instead of water.

TexasBred":wx6s7egw said:
Wife's recipe is pretty simple. First she insists on nothing but Casserole Brand pinto beans. There is a difference and these are exceptional. She doesn't soak, just puts them in water and on the stove top usually some ham or sometimes bacon along with salt and black pepper and when you need to add liquid use chicken broth instead of water.
I also add rotell and cilantro.

In the past, I've tried cooking to near the recipes above and never got the taste of what was served. Their beans were beans only in a thin flavored broth so I do not know what they did to flavor. I guessed at onion powder, garlic powder, chill powder and chicken broth but I have no idea.

I think they need a long slow cook for one. Also the flavor intensifies as the liquid is cooked away to a thin gravy like consistency.

I'll bet the one your trying to create had bullion from bbq beef or pork added.

TexasBred":1t1h2qtd said:

I love that over white rice or wild rice. Its the only time I really like plain rice.

snoopdog":1miy9yyd said:
Find some annasazi (not sure of spelling ) beans, you'll throw the pintos out the window .
I bought a bag of those once. Left them on the table to cook the next day and when I went to get them..they were gone. Saw them a week later up on the top shelf of the pantry, :???: but when I went to get them a couple days later, they had mysteriously and completely disappeared. :???: :???:

;-) ;-)

There ain't much I like better than good pinto beans and fried okra. Those two vegetables are better than money and cooter.

Fried okra maybe, but there's lot better beans than pintos....butter beans, butter peas, ford hooks, Jackson Wonders, lima beans, speckled butter peas...

ga.prime":37b7g6gg said:
Fried okra maybe, but there's lot better beans than pintos....butter beans, butter peas, ford hooks, Jackson Wonders, lima beans, speckled butter peas...
Must be a Ga. Thing not to Iike pintos..

ALACOWMAN":1u2c0emu said:
ga.prime":1u2c0emu said:
Must be a Ga. Thing not to Iike pintos..
Didn't say I don't like them, they've got their place- alongside Mexican food. Any of the others I listed are better with fried okra.

ga.prime":1wkm9x54 said:
I enjoy a big bowl of butter beans...any kind...along with cornbread. Just had first butter peas last year and they were good as well.

Latest posts