I need a Texas style chile recipe!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Well maybe a true chile recipe with no beans, I don't know if it a true Texas thing but I would still like to try a chile without beans, been told it was a Texas thing. I'll be using ground beef, Please step up folks! Any help?

Alan

For a package mix you could try " two alarm" chili. I haven't had it in a while but it's allways been a good mix. I had a tamale at a icon Mexican restaurant here in Austin the other day that was covered with "chili". What I noticed was it was more like gravy. The meat was really fine. Have you ever boiled hamburger rather than fried it?

You have the part about ''no beans" right. Something my wife does, that she learned from her mother, is to cut up a steak into small pieces and mix it with the hamburger. I highly recommend doing that. I'm afraid that's all the help I can give you.

If I may digress, some years ago I was watching one of the network morning news programs and they had a segment about different types of chili. One of them involved pasta. I remember one of the hosts remarking "There's people in Texas watching this who are saying "I don't know what that is, but it ain't chili".

This is the one we use
Texas recipes on facebook has several but never tried any but this one

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds beef brisket, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
3 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and finely, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
1 can (13.75 ounce size) beef broth
2 cans (14.5 ounce size) stewed tomatoes
1 bottle (12 ounce size) beer
1 bay leaf
lime wedges for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, saute brisket until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add onion, jalapenos and garlic to drippings in pot; cook over medium-low heat until onion is very tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, and red pepper; cook 1 minute.

Return meat to pot. Stir in broth, tomatoes, beer and bay leaf.

Heat to boiling. Lower heat; simmer with cover slightly ajar until meat is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. For last 20 minutes, uncover to thicken chili.

Alan":2k2lv6k3 said:
Well maybe a true chile recipe with no beans, I don't know if it a true Texas thing but I would still like to try a chile without beans, been told it was a Texas thing. I'll be using ground beef, Please step up folks! Any help?

Alan
Alan I thing most of the chili I've seen around here starts with two cans of Wolf Brand...then they add to that. Tastes like crap. :lol:

Here is my recipe ( you can omit the beans)
2 lbs Meat ( diced or ground- beef,pork,deer what ever floats your boat)
2 packages chili seasoning
2 can LR kidney beans
2 can DR kidney beans
2 can chili beans
1 20oz jar of spaghetti sauce
1/2 bottle tabasco

the sauce makes it thick and the seasoning make it taste like chili. This recipe was given to me buy a 3 time chili cookoff winner.

This is my favorite not to hard and pretty good

2 pounds ground meat

2 onions chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons dried oregano

4- 14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes

1- 15 ounce can tomato sauce

Meat, onions and garlic in a large pot brown the meat over med heat then drain

Stir in chili powder, salt, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato sauce break up tomatoes if you don't like chunks. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer cover it then cook for an hour stir it every now and then. Uncover and cook for 20 more mins

Hello guys

These recipes you mention totally so awesome, Really I will try this recipe this summer

wacocowboy said:

2 pounds ground meat

2 onions chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

2 teaspoons salt

Stir in chili powder, salt, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato sauce break up tomatoes if you don't like chunks. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer cover it then cook for an hour stir it every now and then. Uncover and cook for 20 more mins

That one sounds good.
I'd add a can or two of Rotel or use tomatoes with green chili's

Cross-7 said:
wacocowboy said:

2 pounds ground meat

2 onions chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

2 teaspoons salt

That one sounds good.
Rotel makes everything better!

That one sounds good.
I do like tomatoes in chili, but That, is a lot of tomato for chili.
16oz=1lb.

4 cans (14.5oz ea) stewed tomatoes=58oz
+ 15 oz of tomato sauce
+ two 10 0z cans of rotel
5.8 lbs of tomato product!
I would have to at least double the chili powder and add 2 tablespoons of cumin powder to keep it from tasting so much like spaghetti sauce. Would probably increase the chili powder up to 1/2 -3/4 cup......6-8-10 tablespoons.

Hook2.0 said:
No beans?
That's for foreign city folks and yankees..

From the rules in the Snook Texas Chilifest thread:

The Rules:
Chili must be cooked at the Chilifest venue on the day of the cookoff. It should be cooked from the raw basic ingredients such as raw meat, individual spices (no premixed spice packets to just add meat) and should be cooked in the open where it can be seen.
There shall be no fillers such as beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.

sstterry said:
True Texas Chili(Texas Red) has no beans and no hamburger. Chunks of beef only.

I have made some with chunks of venison but I draw the line at ever using pork or any poultry.
That would be disgusting.

Latest posts