Reed Canary Meadow Fertilizer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Reed canary is know as a grass that really responds to N and I make an early application on my high ground. I also have some RC meadows that are wet and cold in the spring-- so the grass does not grow much until late June and then really takes off in July. Have you seen pounds DM/pound N for summer or early fall RC applications?

I haven't seen any trial data on that Steve. I would suggest that matching an N application to the uptake demand curve usually maximizes N efficiency and DM yield. I would try and get in there when the ground is fit in June, right before it "takes off" and pray for a rain. (Either that or work with you supplier on which material to use. Ammonium sulphate or ammonium nitrate aren't available for loss to the atmosphere.)

We put liquid hog manure on in the late summer and fall, and skip a spring application. It works from a manure management standpoint, and there is less loss than applying to row-crop land (bare soil) but it still isn't as effective as putting it on ahead of the most productive months in the growing season. I planted reed canary in one of our later fields in 2009, so it may not get manure until the end of May. I'll keep you posted. Might even take pictures! :cowboy:

Latest posts