Redneck Story

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I don't know if this would fit in with the other redneck thread, so I started a new one.

About 20 years ago my wife, her sister, and her sister's husband and I went to San Antonio at Christmas time for a few days. They had flown in from Florida, so they of course didn't have a car, so we took my old Ford extended cab two-tone brown diesel truck. I had borrowed a couple of 55-gallon barrels from work to put our luggage in. I laid the barrels down on their side and tied them down so they wouldn't roll around, and off we went.

We pulled up in front of this fancy hotel on the Riverwalk, and my brother-in-law went inside. He came out with several little guys and a cart for our stuff. That was something new for me. I'd seen that sort of thing on tv, but at all the places I'd ever stayed if you wanted your luggage carried up to your room you did it yourself. Anyway, when I saw them I got out of the truck and climbed on back and started un-tying barrels. One of those little fellows looked up at me and asked very politely "Sir, will these be going inside?" About that time I got the lids off and started handing them suitcases. He said "That's a good idea," but I think he was wondering "Just how far back in the woods did these people come from?"

Stop right there! Lol About 20 years ago my wife, her sister, and her sister's husband and I went to San Antonio at Christmas time for a few days. They had flown in from Florida, so they of course didn't have a car, so we took my old Ford extended cab two-tone brown diesel truck. I had borrowed a couple of 55-gallon barrels from work to put our luggage in. I laid the barrels down on their side and tied them down so they wouldn't roll around, and off we went.
Why would you do that??

King I am sure it was to keep their luggage dry in the back of the truck.

Great idea! I have used garbage cans too. :hide:

branguscowgirl":2ys2mkzm said:

You're right. It was to keep the stuff dry.

"You might be a Red neck if ....... you put luggage in barrels on the back of your truck. "

Rafter S":26ejegjn said:
branguscowgirl":26ejegjn said:

You're right. It was to keep the stuff dry.

"You might be a Red neck if ....... you put luggage in barrels on the back of your truck. "
.20 years ago I would have had paper grocery sacks as luggage

My wife and I went to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica several years ago. Before this the nicest place I had ever stayed in was a sleep inn. It ended up resembling the Clampetts go to the Caribbean. When we got there these two nice gentlemen took our bags and hauled us to our rooms on a golf cart. They would not let me help carry our own bags, but would not leave after we got to our room. It took me about five minuets of awkward conversation to figure out they were wanting a tip. We were also there a full day till we figured out that drinks were free as well as food. We had a great time but I am pretty sure we were probably the only people there that ever had cow manure on their boots.

My wife and I were invited to stay at a fancy hotel once. Had a chauffeured Bentley at our disposal and there were people everywhere waiting on us hand and foot. At first it was kind of neat but they all expected tips and it wasn't long before I was sneaking around the corners dodging my wanna be helpers and wishing I was at the Holiday Inn. Heck, they even had a television in the mirror. When I saw this I knew I was out of my element.

When I was doing service work for a packaging equipment company, I was stationed just outside of Toronto when they sent me to east Chicago. I decided rather than the hassle of returning a rental car, getting on a flight, possibly losing my luggage and tools, renting another car, etc, I was just going to drive down, so 12 hours later I arrive, get a couple winks of sleep in a Comfort Inn, then do my work. After that, packed everything up and I was headed back to Niagara to retrofit an old machine there.. Another 12 hour drive.. I was an absolute zombie by the time I got there.. and guess what? Any normal place I'd stay at was booked solid, so I just looked on my GPS to get phone numbers, and I called them until I found one with a room.. I go there, it's a GIANT victorian mansion with about 30 rooms.. they charged $400/night (10 years ago), I had a wonderful room (but had to pay $10 for internet access and they didn't provide breakfast). They sure must have looked at me funny.. a single guy, evidently a working stiff, tired as hell, in work clothes, getting a bridal suite. I was sure out of place there!

Nesikep":1nollf3g said:
When I was doing service work for a packaging equipment company, I was stationed just outside of Toronto when they sent me to east Chicago. I decided rather than the hassle of returning a rental car, getting on a flight, possibly losing my luggage and tools, renting another car, etc, I was just going to drive down, so 12 hours later I arrive, get a couple winks of sleep in a Comfort Inn, then do my work. After that, packed everything up and I was headed back to Niagara to retrofit an old machine there.. Another 12 hour drive.. I was an absolute zombie by the time I got there.. and guess what? Any normal place I'd stay at was booked solid, so I just looked on my GPS to get phone numbers, and I called them until I found one with a room.. I go there, it's a GIANT victorian mansion with about 30 rooms.. they charged $400/night (10 years ago), I had a wonderful room (but had to pay $10 for internet access and they didn't provide breakfast). They sure must have looked at me funny.. a single guy, evidently a working stiff, tired as be nice, in work clothes, getting a bridal suite. I was sure out of place there!
For that they should have had the bride with the room for you.

Latest posts