redneck engineering quick fel quick connect

Help Support CattleToday:

Please continue with the pictures as you go along. I would like to build one for my tractor. Priced one about 2 years ago..$880 was the best deal I could find. We have a used tractor dealer about 10 miles down the road. He buys and sells tractors and equipment. Goes to a lot of auctions. He has several sets of forks on his yard. You might try to find someone like that in your area. It looked like around $250 per set was what he was getting.

Center brace and end brackets. The way the cylinders are arranged on this loader I decided to cut bracket off of the bucket.

Brackets welded and receiver for spear done

like a glove.

Hay spear attached. It's gonna have to be longer.

Started at 8 this morning and had this done by 130.
My back hurts.
Now I'm trying to decipher a quick connect.

sim.-ang.king":3854yzwo said:
Looks like it should work, and I see you have some custom forks to match. What size loader is that?

Its a JD 47 loader. It is from the Late 60's its matches my tractor (74' Model) real well. I loaded some hay (5x5) with it this weekend and It handled it much better with the dedicated fork than it did with my bucket fork. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

A while back We were discussing the quick hooks from John Deere and they were about 12 bucks. I called Friday to get some from our dealer and They are not a stock item (see my rant on parts houses) So I made some out of the hooks Off of the straps that attach to the rub rail on 18 wheeler. If you don't have a forge a torch will work if you wanted to tackle the project.

In the forge getting Cherry red.

I spread it apart and then layed it in the vise

used a pin the same size as the quick connect pins

cooled down and ready to attach to the frame. Once it was welded on I had to tweek it open a little. I am also adding a piece of flat strap to the top for strength

I usually do my forge work in the winter time. It was 100 deg Saturday and being around the fire made it about 150. I only made 2 sets.

I picked up a set of forks today and they fit the frame I built . I will post pics tomorrow.

Building stuff is my true passion.

I don't know, but as solid as that frame looks, I would have considered double spears place on the bottom of your frame. In most cases would double as hay spear without need of small stablilizers and a static fork without adjustments. Good luck.

Phil in Tupelo":1tabllxu said:
I don't know, but as solid as that frame looks, I would have considered double spears place on the bottom of your frame. In most cases would double as hay spear without need of small stablilizers and a static fork without adjustments. Good luck.
That's a good idea . I would have still had to have made them removable as this frame is my quick connect frame that connects to the bucket and pallet forks.

Here is the fork frame.

Just a rectangle frame . Bottom is channel iron with the channel down so the hook on the fork grab it. The top has a 1/2 square rod welded to the top tube for the top of forks to slide on.

I have made a guard for the top of the frame. It keeps the fork from sliding off . It still has to be painted.

Connected to the qc frame

Shanghai":2s0staty said:
That's looks good
Your pretty dang slick
Thank you, if'm y'all only knew how much trouble I got in when I was a kid for taking stuff apart and building stuff. I once built a raft out of treated post and drug it back to the pond. That new bundle of post was just setting there. I get tunnel vision when I start something and have to finish it. I was blessed with being able to vision a project. I regret not following that passion years ago.

Really nice work! You should have just build you a front end loader instead of buying one. I love to build things to but don't have much time to right now Iam like you once I start a project all I think about is getting it done I always have a pic in my head of how I want it to look and just go from there.

Latest posts