Rainy day engineering

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Been raining here since Thursday and not alot to do , I attempted to clean up under the barn Saturday but soon realized I was not going to get that accomplished and turned my attention to fixing a weed eater. Had to build a new shaft for good one out of an old one. As I finished I said, Darryl why don't you just build one that works off of a lawn mower. Looked up one I had seen and set to making it. I used an old outboard starter, put a weed eater head on it. Made a simple arm to raise and lower it. Used the old outboard solenoid and a push button switch off of a trolling motor. It's still raining so I have only been able to check the functions under the barn , I hope to put it to the test before dark. I will up load the pics and video when I get in house later. If it passes first test I will build a breakaway arm and tweek it more .

Men (and women) that have the mind for this sort of ingenuity truly impress me.

Thanks, I enjoy building things , unfortunately it's never paid a bill. It all started when I was about 4 yrs old and got a wood take apart car. My boys played with this car and I hope my grand kids will to. All three of my kids are just as handy. I have way more failed projects than ones that work. I also did some work on my Barb wire unroller Saturday. Should get to use it in next few weeks , it's made out of a old truck hub and 20" sprocket.

An interesting adaptation, but I have seen several people try to use starters for motors and they don't last very long considering most have a rather short on/off duty cycle. If it burns out, an old trolling motor might make a more suitable replacement--or a vehicle's blower motor from the heater/air conditioner if it can handle the torque and the rpm is sufficient to meet your needs.

greybeard":39rfvwpp said:
An interesting adaptation, but I have seen several people try to use starters for motors and they don't last very long considering most have a rather short on/off duty cycle. If it burns out, an old trolling motor might make a more suitable replacement--or a vehicle's blower motor from the heater/air conditioner if it can handle the torque and the rpm is sufficient to meet your needs.
Yeh or pinch a drive motor from some old codgers electric mobility scooter when they've dozed off for a sleep.
Ken

This split rail fence is in my front yard. I weed eat and under it and around the house . the rest is done with liquid weed eater. I wish I had this when I had goats and had about 1/2 mile of electric fence to weed eat

greybeard":2ekcb19e said:

I actually was going to use a trolling motor but the only junk one I had I could not get it to work. I think it would be fine but they do not have the rpms or the torque the starter motor has. Being I don't have but about a 100 yrds to actually do it should be fine.

I have already started to think about building one like the DR brand and use a small generator and a 1hp starite well motor . going to make it with a swivel breakaway and hoop to go behind the rtv. but that's for another rainy day.

Latest posts