Redish Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

DoubleR

Reaction score
I have a Reg. Black Angus operation , and for some reason this years yearlings have a redish color on the tips of the hair . I was wondering if they are missing something in their mineral or feed ?

DoubleR":1vrrhcmf said:
I have a Reg. Black Angus operation , and for some reason this years yearlings have a redish color on the tips of the hair . I was wondering if they are missing something in their mineral or feed ?

I think that's attributed to a copper difficency

dun

dun":339ub9ds said:
DoubleR":339ub9ds said:

dun

Had that problem last spring, and added more copper to mineral mix. Problem went away.

Had that once last year. It was neighbors bull!!! Nobody confessed.
That calf stood out like a fart in church amoung our herefords.
:lol: :lol:

In addition to the minerals that can be the ends of the hairs that are sunbleached from last year. Thay will sometimes shed them off, of it you clip them they will be gone. Good Luck

dun":1nr4tgl4 said:

dun

I never new this. I'll have to try to work on this as the black Lims with red fur seem to cause my dad discomfort.

Thanks for a good post and good answer.

A copper deficiency is one of those things that needs immediate attention as it can seriously affect fertility and conception rates, just remember that an overdose could be lethal. The quickest remedy is Multimin +Cu, over here you have to get it from a vet, all the other Multimins you can buy over the counter.

The best longterm solution is still a good mineral program matched to your areas needs, but when in dire straits just before a breeding season the Multimin will do wonders.

How much copper is enough is often the more complicated question. The university in this area often recommends that the mineral mix contain 1500 ppm of copper (copper sulfate being the recommended source), however, in some areas such as in our area where coal burning power plants deposit sulfur we need higher levels since sulfur lowers the copper availability from the forages. In some of those cases I've seen copper levels raised as high as 3500 ppm. In some of those cases I believe it is probably time to be looking at feeding chelated copper. My only point in this message is to let some know that when they are told to feed a mineral with copper and they go get a mineral with copper at 500 ppm or even 1000 ppm they may still not be providing adequate levels to solve their problem. Note that these levels are in minerals consumed at 4 oz/head/day. 2 oz minerals would have to have those levels doubled.

Latest posts