Red River Crabgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis":1nstd16q said:
Has anyone tried it?

Yes I use it. It works great behind annual rye grass too. I have 7 acres that's used by them both and also dry lot the cows there. I've never cut either for hay.

After several years with the RRcrabgrass I found it will reseed itself if you leave the last seed to fall off in the fall. I have had the annual rye grass reseed itself too but that doesn't happen often.

The RRcrangrass will get about 4 ft. tall. Cows love it. It makes a nice diet change in mid summer.

The seed are tiny and have to be careful not to get the seed to deep. I mix the seed in pelletized lime and broadcast. To prepare the soil I till down about 2 inches,cultipack,seed and cultipack after seeding. Soil needs to be warm before seeding. Last 3 years we had cool to cold weather on in to May and then drought after that. I have seed in the bag for this year that I bought 3 years ago. Going to test some in cups to see if it's still good.

I know a man in Yancyville NC.(VMac Baldwin) that sews over 300 acres every year. Annual rye grass for fall and winter then cuts hay in the spring. After haying he sews the RRCrabgrass. It's work for him for years now.

rmcva":24zb7afx said:
curtis":24zb7afx said:
Has anyone tried it?

Yes I use it. It works great behind annual rye grass too. I have 7 acres that's used by them both and also dry lot the cows there. I've never cut either for hay.

After several years with the RRcrabgrass I found it will reseed itself if you leave the last seed to fall off in the fall. I have had the annual rye grass reseed itself too but that doesn't happen often.

The RRcrangrass will get about 4 ft. tall. Cows love it. It makes a nice diet change in mid summer.

The seed are tiny and have to be careful not to get the seed to deep. I mix the seed in pelletized lime and broadcast. To prepare the soil I till down about 2 inches,cultipack,seed and cultipack after seeding. Soil needs to be warm before seeding. Last 3 years we had cool to cold weather on in to May and then drought after that. I have seed in the bag for this year that I bought 3 years ago. Going to test some in cups to see if it's still good.

I know a man in Yancyville NC.(VMac Baldwin) that sews over 300 acres every year. Annual rye grass for fall and winter then cuts hay in the spring. After haying he sews the RRCrabgrass. It's work for him for years now.

Thanks.

The Noble fondation in OK has experminented with the crabgrass and annual rye in a stocker operation. Thier aim was to run the operation with nothing more that an ATV four wheeler as the only piece of equipment. They had to manage to let each grass reseed each year. I think they may have a website. I think they are also the one who developed the red river crabgrass.

redangus":3tvzy6xu said:
How expensive is it?

Been several years now but the last I bought was $4 per pound. Takes 2-4 pounds per acre. I used 3 pounds. I've read that it can be frost seeded but I've never tired it.

It grows slow until it gets hot(85 and up). I've gotten 5 grazings off it but that was a wet year. Three is more the normal if you let it get tall.If it seeds out it can be grazed down and it'll seed out again. By mid September here it'll go to seed about a foot tall. That's when I let it dry up for the next year. Then sew thw annual rye grass.

Crabgrass responds well to N. 25 pounds or more to the acre after each grazing.

MDBeef":2e765abv said:
On what type of soils have you planted it?

Sandy loan soil here plus the area I use is also dry lot, so there's lots of manure. Now Mr. Baldwin in NC. has several types of soil. Over the last 6 years he's clear cut all the timber and now has it all in those two grasses. And again he uses chicken litter too. It seems to do well on that mixture of soil.

I threw a hand full of seed in some cutover land that's on the poor side (red clay). Never been croped in my life and had been in pine trees for 60 years. It got about knee high. That's with no fertilizer or lime. If regular crabgrass grows where you are the RR will do well.

regenwether":3bv23719 said:
Where can you buy it???

I always bought from Lorenz OK Seeds. They were always about $1 per pound cheaper than others. They're also great to deal with. I always ordered by e-mail after getting a quote each year. Don't know if they still do this but they would ship the seed with a bill. I'd then write a check and mail it to them.

http://www.okeene.com/lorenzokseeds/crabgrass/index.html

Hey Caustic how about an update on your 5 acre test plot of crabgrass. It has been pretty wet this spring in my part of Texas, almost anything would have done well. With fertilizer prices where they are I would like to know how it will perform with low application rates.

J+

J+ Cattle":3v45m1n5 said:
Hey Caustic how about an update on your 5 acre test plot of crabgrass. It has been pretty wet this spring in my part of Texas, almost anything would have done well. With fertilizer prices where they are I would like to know how it will perform with low application rates.

J+

It is up and running put 200 pounds of 16-6-16 per acre on it.
Jury is still out as I want to see what it looks like in August.

Latest posts