Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a few calves from Dubas Exellent Answer (ABS or ORIGEN) that I really like the way they look. None are old enough to be mommies yet but will be keeping some back for breeding next year. I wish the Red Angus breed would have more EPD data on their bulls. I contacted them through their email to find out when docility and other EPD data will be available, but have not heard anything back. I used a bull called NSFR Gretzky (ABS) 2 years ago and the replacements that I kept back from him are so excitable that I am not even going to breed them. will keep an eye on your post since the selection of Red Angus bulls seem to get lower each year.

I wish the Red Angus breed would ha...docility and other EPD data will be available
RAAA currently provides 18 EPDs which not incidently includes a plethora of ER traits. It should be noted that the data is supported by 25 yrs of mandatory THR. The breed has historically been recognized for its outstanding docility hence the lack of a Docility EPD. YMMV if you use genetics from RAAA programs that opted to incorporate Blk Angus.
the selection of Red Angus bulls seem to get lower each year.
How so?

76 Bar said:
I wish the Red Angus breed would ha...docility and other EPD data will be available
RAAA currently provides 18 EPDs which not incidently includes a plethora of ER traits. It should be noted that the data is supported by 25 yrs of mandatory THR. The breed has historically been recognized for its outstanding docility hence the lack of a Docility EPD. YMMV if you use genetics from RAAA programs that opted to incorporate Blk Angus.
the selection of Red Angus bulls seem to get lower each year.
How so?

I have been getting some semen from Origen which had about 15 bulls on their list last year and only 3 this year. I also buy from ABS which seems to have about the same number but have not noticed any new and exciting bulls from there.

I also buy from ABS which seems to have about the same number but have not noticed any new and exciting bulls from there
ABS has ~25. New & exciting unproven bulls are always a crap shoot regardless of breed. What are your goals?

I have been eyeing up domain and deep end there genex both seem like there numbers should make decent cows in my opinion

Another bull you should consider is Monopoly. My brother is into red angus and our AI rep recommended monopoly to him. He does a wonderful job. He has quite high calving ease but you sure couldn't tell by fall. Calves are growthy and thick. I don't think you can go wrong with him.

76 Bar said:
ABS has ~25. New & exciting unproven bulls are always a crap shoot regardless of breed. What are your goals?
this year I used fusion and finished product. the top of my wants are docility with good frame and a wide butt. weaning weight and CE come next, and a nice bright red always helps. I agree that RA are generally docile but the Gretzky calves that I had last year do not exhibit that at all. no keeper for me because of that reason.

I looked up Gretzky and thought it telling that a 2009 born AI bull in a major Stud had only 136 progeny plus more than a few of those had in turn no progeny themselves. :roll:

I know there are some AI sires that are black Angus genetics "in a red suit". Has anyone used them and what is your feedback?
The Red gene has been inherent in Angus since day one. The only registry world wide that considerers it a defect is the AAA.

My Red Blairs Bingo, and Red Ringstead Kargo daughters have been good. Detour is another one that I like the daughters from.

I've been using Red U2 Renown a bit, and I have some other Red U2 sires at KABSU that I plan on using shortly.

EPIC is one of my favorites!
I have an AI 2014 Beckton Epic R397 K son via Brian Axtell and he's inarguably the best bull I've had in 40 + years. Does everything right and icing on the cake has superlative feet.

Latest posts