rebreeding cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How long should I wait to rebreed a 6 yr old cow who had a calf on March 11? This was her 4th calf, but first for me. Is 30 days long enough? It is a black angus if that matters. Thanks!

You don't HAVE to wait at all, in fact you shouldn't. Good cattle will rebreed in 40 to 90 days. I'm getting a little impatient if they don't rebreed in 60.

Anonymous":3i5xrd4a said:
How long should I wait to rebreed a 6 yr old cow who had a calf on March 11? This was her 4th calf, but first for me. Is 30 days long enough? It is a black angus if that matters. Thanks!

It all depends on when you want her to calve. If you want a calf again on March 11th or later- breed her around June 1st.

Anonymous":38mwen6s said:

A cow is expected to have a calf every 12 months. Gestation is 9 months so you have only three months to get her rebred. she will generally start cycling after the birh of the current calf within about 30 days. So if you exposed her within three weeks following the birth of the current calf you would get a head start and have three attempts at getting her bred to have a calf within the 12 month period following the birth of the current calf.
Good luck,