really excited!

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We drilled rye grass and orchard Thursday. Since then we have received about one and a half inches of rain over about 48 hours, so a nice slow drizzle. I sure hope we get a good stand from this! We are so short on grass, we could really use this. :banana:
Oh, BTW, this is a study. My daughter received a grant to study growth rates on two different forages. She has to plant, then rate growth progress and carrying capacity of the different varieties of grasses. Then she has to report her findings to different cattlemen meetings. She is looking forward to it! :nod:

Here is a photo after the drilling was done but before the rain..
afterseeding_sept12.jpg

Thought I would update some pictures! This is ALMOST as exciting as waiting for a new calf (almost, but not quite!).
Here is the rye at 7 days post planting:
grass_7_days_rye.jpg

And a shot of it in the fescue already present
grass_7_days_post_planting_rye.jpg

I guess I am so excited because previously, we did not get a good stand. We rented a 7 foot drill and put it in ourselves. This year, we hired someone who used a 10 foot drill, and it made all the difference in the world! The weight got the seed in the soil more consistently, I think.

Keep and eye on it! I just had mine ate by Armyworms. We are in Douglas County (Denlow,Vanzant area). I have heard that they are real bad south of us. What county are you in?

2x on the army worms. back in the spring a guy i know lost about what would have been 3000 bales of hay to them.and this was in taney and douglas county's.

Lawrence county. Never thought army worms... Ugh as if the drought wasn't enough to deal with. Will they get into every pasture, or just one?

Fire Sweep Ranch":1dw1l38z said:
Lawrence county. Never thought army worms... Ugh as if the drought wasn't enough to deal with. Will they get into every pasture, or just one?
Over here when they got in a pasture they would get in the ones that joined and then moved on.

Latest posts