READY TOO KILL!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
I am so ready too kill my sisters "unbroke" angus show hefier.
we got the bright idea too get her out and walk her......Not smart. She got away from my sis, and we chased her in too the electric feild, thinking we could catch her. No no no no. Me brother roped her and i grabed the rope with my sis, and brother. She pulled us all no prob. Got behind the barn and tore all the main fence down broke 2 tee posts clean off and the took off acrose the feild jumped through a bob wire fence in too our neighbors land. He has like 60 acres and she was not afarid of fences at all so we went and got the horses and 4 wheeler. O.k caught the hefier and tied her too a tree. Sounds good right? NOT!!! she knocked my sister down and jumped on/over her just barely missing her and then turned around and went for her again. Me sis just barley rolled out of the way of getting killed. btw the hefier was born 10-10-06 and is like 600 pounds of mean hefier. She broke loose and ran too the back pasture. Well my sis caught her and tied her too a tree. Then the neighbor got there and we pulled/got drug the whole way back.

Now I have her in a stall in the barn and refuse to break her. And i feel like such a loser not breaking her. I might end up breaking her but gonna get a friend out her too help me.
What makes me mad is that when we went too get them i jokeling said " well the one i pick out is bound too be crazy" the man gets all serious and says " i do not have crazy cows in my herd, that is a quality i do not have" I could argue that! Anyway i want her gone, sold, shot whatever!...very mad...

What would you do? I really want too break her but i am afarid she will break me!!!!

By the sounds of things, you've tried too much, too soon. How long have you had this heifer, and how much ground work have you put into her? Even if she has had a fair bit of work, I never try the first walk out in the open... I usually start walking between pens, then out into a slightly larger yard, and ALWAYS in a well-fenced, enclosed area.
Go back to basics, take her slow, try and instil some trust in your heifer.
Remember, every animal is different... what works with one doesn't necessarilly work with another.

I would break her. Get in the pen and get a halter on her and tie her up. Leave her for a hour or so ( but watch her). When she calms down go in and pet her and brush her. Do that for a few days and then try to lead her around the stall. Then get her out after a WHILE! :lol:

i would have to agree with Killala.sounds like you need to get more trust between each other. and some more work. dont give up.

I'm going to have to agree with you, and just for the fact she's an angus, kill her.

Killala":sd99byt5 said:
By the sounds of things, you've tried too much, too soon. How long have you had this heifer, and how much ground work have you put into her? Even if she has had a fair bit of work, I never try the first walk out in the open... I usually start walking between pens, then out into a slightly larger yard, and ALWAYS in a well-fenced, enclosed area.
Remember, every animal is different... what works with one doesn't necessarilly work with another.
you got it - try again and go slowly. The more excited you get, the more excited she gets. Good Luck.

*Cowgirl*":kk67aifl said:
Killala":kk67aifl said:
Remember, every animal is different.. what works with one doesn't necessarilly work with another.

we have had her for 8 days. We worked with her in the stall for several days. She is just mean. I am pretty strong and can hold on too most cattle after working with them for 3+ days in the stall. She is just a mean cow. no other way too put it. Yes, i agree i should ty her up and pet her but, like you said what works with one animals dose not work wth another. I cant ty her up. I have another calf from that same place and she is just the same, i have taken her our and walked her and she will also jump on me if she gets a chance.

the reason we took her out is because I had a hefier from that place last year and she weighed 630 i had her broke in 4 days flat. outside walking around ect. In my excperince Most calves will run if the get the chance. She charges. These cows have no resepct for people. I could argue with who ever said angus were a gentle breed. Any more advice?????Thank you and i compleatly resepct you opioans. thank you again!!!

Not laughing at ya cow_crazy, but your story sure put a smile on my face. Brought back some old memories. :D

You probably tried a little too much a little too soon. It's been a lot of years since I showed calves but I think most who have been involved in breaking them have similiar stories.

The best advice I can give is to thank God no one was hurt, learn from your mistakes, have patience and hang in there! You can do it if you set your mind to it!

Believe me you'll all have some good laughs over the whole ordeal when you're all older. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how it's going.

You've had her for EIGHT days, and you expect to be able to take her outside into an area she's never seen before, with scary objects and scary people she only met the week before, and you expect her to behave like a seasoned veteran?

Isn't going to happen. IMO, eight days is just barely long enough for them to settle in. You're expecting too much waaaaaay too soon.

Have you ever given cattle vaccinations, and seen them get to the point they know what's coming and are fed up with pain, and they start slinging their head at you as you get close? or you go to put in an ear tag on a cow that's had multiple owners, and she knows what's about to happen, and you can barely control her with a twitch long enough to put the new tag in? it's not that they're mean, it's simply that prey animals have a fight-or-flight response, and when they're in a position they cannot run, they fight back.

Wild cows and calves can do some pretty stupid things when they get pushed. When you start putting angry people in their space or closer than they're comfortable with... there's only one thing on their mind, and that's to get out of there. I've got one heifer here who literally goes ballistic, bellowing and running into things if you throw a rope on her.

Basically, you pushed for too much, too soon. You put the heifer in a position she couldn't get away from (she tried), and so you saw the "fight" response, and now you're calling her mean and unbreakable. You're reading her response wrong, and chances are both calves are wilder than you're used to working with and you're not taking the time to tame them down. Sorry if that's too blunt, but that's the way I'm reading it. JMO.

Cowboy 2.0":3dv35gus said:
I'm going to have to agree with you, and just for the fact she's an angus, kill her.

Agreed. Then afterwards go get a red calf with a white face that knows how to behave. ;-)

Killala and Milkmaid are exactly right.

If this heifer was difficult to begin with, this episode will not have helped her. In fact, it is probably the worst thing that could have happened to her. Not only is her trust in you lost, she will have learnt that she is stronger than you, and can get away from you. I usually give them eight days in a new place before I even touch them. Then they get a week or two being worked within yards, then they progress to a small paddock and its a good month before I will work them in a completely 'open' area.

Keep working slowly with her, but you will probably have a helluva hard time now.

You say you can't tie her up - this to me is proof enough that the heifer wasn't ready to be led. You also say that most calves will run if they get the chance - yes, but only if they haven't had the preparation. Maybe you need to be spending a little more time in the initial stages of breaking them.

I'm sorry if this is blunt, but its just the way I have interpreted it. I don't mean to offend.

Actually, your story reminded me of one time myself and this bloke had to go pick up a pinz heifer, which was already broken in, to bring back to the prep centre to get her ready for show and sale. Well we got to the place and the heifer was in the yards but the bloke wasn't there. He'd warned us he might not be there, but just to pick the heifer up and take her. Anyway, we found a halter, got it on her and tried to load her - she promptly took off, roaring bucking and jumping like a mad thing. Well we weren't going to put up with that so we pulle and hauled her round until she rediscovered her manners. We loaded her, took her home and she was pretty fine. The next day the bloke rang - asked us why we hadn't picked the heifer up yet? Turned out we'd picked up the wrong heifer - an unbroken one - that he was taking to the chop because she was in his words 'mad as a bloody hatter' and the one we were supposed to get was still in the yards. :lol: :lol: To this day I don't know how we didn't see her, he'd had her tied up and everything.

Keren":yvdwze49 said:
Actually, your story reminded me of one time myself and this bloke had to go pick up a pinz heifer, which was already broken in, to bring back to the prep centre to get her ready for show and sale. Well we got to the place and the heifer was in the yards but the bloke wasn't there. He'd warned us he might not be there, but just to pick the heifer up and take her. Anyway, we found a halter, got it on her and tried to load her - she promptly took off, roaring bucking and jumping like a mad thing. Well we weren't going to put up with that so we pulle and hauled her round until she rediscovered her manners. We loaded her, took her home and she was pretty fine. The next day the bloke rang - asked us why we hadn't picked the heifer up yet? Turned out we'd picked up the wrong heifer - an unbroken one - that he was taking to the chop because she was in his words 'mad as a bloody hatter' and the one we were supposed to get was still in the yards. :lol: :lol: To this day I don't know how we didn't see her, he'd had her tied up and everything.
Sounds like something I'd do.... :oops:

ilfarmer92":1r5b053l said:
Cowboy 2.0":1r5b053l said:

Agreed. Then afterwards go get a red calf with a white face that knows how to behave. ;-)

I guess a red and white one wouldn't be so bad. :lol:

Hey thanks for the advice everyone. Friend came over and tied her up, pet her then got her outta the stall she was a angel! just perfect. Some times i want too kick myself.
I can see were we went wrong. but hey thats how you learn, by making mistakes. right?? she really suprised me when she came out of the stall. she is like very gentle. We could show her tommrow if need arose.

I am still very mad at her for making a fool of me..lol.. but i will get over that. I was really hopeing she would be good. ad she was.. I feel really bad about scareing her then putting her in the stall by her self { my bad }. she was like so despreat for a friend that she was good.

But all that is over. I know what too do next time and thank you for all the good advice ect.

Sorry if that's too blunt, but that's the way I'm reading it. JMO

milkmaid Hey! i asked for advice and you gave some great words of wisdom! you know more than i do and i resepct your thought, and will most likely use it next time if need arise.

A6gal glad i made you laugh ;] we are already laughing at ourselves.lol.

milkmaid , you are most certinaly right. I rushed thing and got what i deserved. a scared calf.. but she gentled right down and is a doll. but i must disagree on one thing. I give 3 days too settle in, then get down too work and have them broke in a week in most cases. Not just broke but gentle too. takes about 2 weeks too where i can turn them out without a halter and then walk up too them in the feild. with her i say in a week she will be a lap dog.

We have decided too show her. I really hope all goes well..

Keren your advice is great too. thank you for taking the time too post..Your story made me laugh lol;];]!!!!!!!!!can just picture it .......

Thanks too all for posting advice!!! Most apriceted[sp]!!!THANKS Again.........

Hopefully will post pictures soon...if i can just figure it out..

TTYL!!!!!!!!!1

Good on you for seeing where you went wrong, and having another go with her. You are right, you do learn from making mistakes, and I can see you have learned from this. I did the same when I started working with show cattle, and even now I still sometimes push an animal a little too hard.

Good luck with her, I hope she does well for you!

cow crazy, sounds to me like she needs more time than some of the other animals you have shown. we have shown angus and brangus and just had the usual up and downs with them. then last year my grandson decided he wanted to show an angus steer. we didn't have one ready so we bought one. no problem, except we couldn't get him broke. every time we tried to lead him, that head would go down and he was gone. we finally gave up and sold him to another 4-H'er. the first show, he drug her father all over the place. he ended up going to the hospital. they finished him at dixie national, but they just never did anything with him, placed last everywhere. my recommendation, sell her and get you a replacement and start over. i think now she will try you anytime you mess with her. she knows she can. we have messed with these show animals for over 15 years, and we haven't had that problem very many times, but it does happen. but i might try going somewhere else to buy mine.

cow_crazy_101":ucwsw15u said:
I am still very mad at her for making a fool of me..lol.. but i will get over that.

Hmmmmm... exactly how did the second dumbest animal on earth make a fool of you?

Latest posts