Will too much show feed ruin feet/fertility in a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all....would like your opinions on this. Anyone who has any studies on this please send me a copy. I've heard this to be true and don't want to ruin my bull for the sake of showing... thanks!!

Well I don't know about fertility, but I personally foundered to Brahman heifers with to much show feed so I would say yes you could ruin his feet. It has to do with the protein in the feed or that is what I was told.

A good feeding regime and structural soundness should prevent ruining feet.

The real danger lies in the accumulation of fat in the neck of the scrotum, this hampers the thermostatic function of the scrotum regulating the temperature of the testes to stay just below body temperature.

Problems associated with this isn't neccesarily infertility, but often causes the semen not to freeze well, making the bull useless as an AI sire.

Don't know how true it is but have heard of show bulls not having the longevity they should have. Mainly from carrying to much weight for to long a period during their younger years. I was told that it is hard in the joints.

Have heard that too much whole cottonseed could have long term effects on bull fertility (told to me by someone who was told by their vet). Haven't researched this though.

some guys in china use cottonseed oil for cooking, and it ruins the mans fertility.

Generally have never had a problem with feet problems or foundering or fertility in either Brahmans or South Devons in years of showing. Most important thing is not have your cattle continually housed in a shed or in yards. Ours are allowed to go out on grass all day all year.I have a product that I use that is organic that I add to their feed that allows them to toatlly utilise all the grain that is given to them. They take about 4/5 days not to have any grain showing in their manure.I notice a change in their coats after about a week. Most especially the Brahmans they become very sleek and the South Devons coat softens.The product that I use is manufactured at Gympie in Queensland, it comes in powdered form or the same in lick blocks (which I use as well). The cattle love it. A friend of mine had a heavy Limousin bull that she was feeding over winter,he became sore in the feet, so she started using this product and in just a few days he was better. We use this company's fertilizer product as well to fertilize our country instead of the much more expensive super phosphate. In the high country of our region there has been a very big problem with "die back" native mature trees dieing from the over use of super phosphate. This organic fertilizer should not affect native vegetation.
Colin

Latest posts