Rats

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Dang rat got under the hood of my F-250 and chewed a vacuum hose spent the whole day having to pull the fender well to get to it and replace it. None of the vent valves would work all the air condtioning was coming out the defrost vent. I keep out plenty of rat posion there is just something about wanting to nest in tractors and the farm truck.

Squirrels do to, Mr. Burno. You're not the only one been there done that.

Alice

Well Mr. Burno I seem to remember a post about 6 moths ago where you were "dissin" the cat . Looks like the whole thing has come full circle to me . Sorry about your hose though .

Larry

Angus/Brangus":1k5ua6vd said:
Caustic Burno":1k5ua6vd said:
Dang rat got under the hood of my F-250 and chewed a vacuum hose spent the whole day having to pull the fender well to get to it and replace it. None of the vent valves would work all the air condtioning was coming out the defrost vent. I keep out plenty of rat posion there is just something about wanting to nest in tractors and the farm truck.

Caustic - the problem with the rat poison is that rat can up and die up under the hood of your truck, in a place where you can't get to it, and every time you turn on the air your truck will smell like death warmed over.

Happened in our house once. The rat died in the bedroom wall. Couldn't sleep in there for a month!

:lol2: :lol2: A/B, you ain't fooling us with that story. Might work on the neighbors but not on us. We know you got Jimmy Hoffa buried in your crawl space. ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

CB, I had one nest in my air filter in my tractor once. I got to poking and pulling junk out and I got this red greese looking stuff all over my hands. I looked closer and the greesy stuff was baby mice I had smushed. I got a strong stomach but this almost did me. I hate rats, mice and other little four legged vermin.

This is not the first time they have cost me chewed a wire on the Buick that took the computer out. You would think they would set up shop in the barn since it has a feed room with range cubes, milk replacer and all kinds of other stuff to destroy. There is absolutely nothing to eat in that detached garage and that seems to be the premium neghborhood to set up housekeeping.
Have any of yall tried these electronic repellents and do they work?

I tried them and I don't think they worked. I couldn't tell the difference. I think that rats and mice are bad this year. My house and barn are overrun. I bought traps and poison yesterday and caught a weiner dog by the nose. That was pretty funny. I don't think she'll be trying to check out the traps anymore. I am putting the poisons in the barn.

I had a rat in the toe of my rubber boot a few weeks ago. It will get your attention.

The only rat I ever saw was in a pet store in Wyoming while visiting there. Alberta has been a 'rat free' province since 1950 and we have an active Rat patrol that protects the border, by trapping , killing and stopping any immigrating rat trying to invade from Saskatchewan.

However, we do have gazillions of mice and Richardson ground squirrels that do their own fair amount of damage.

How about that...my F250 is doing the same thing. Now I know where to look, or rather, have one of the boys have a go at it...suppose that I'll loose my excuse to get a new rig. DMc

rats can do serious damge to elctrical wiring an other things.an theres no way you can keep posin under your hood.

As I was leaving one morning this week, I watched a cat killing a rat. I'm glad we got them cats.

This post has done me some good. I went to the camp this weekend and noticed I had a few rats and mice in the camp. (by the way I am deathly afraid of rodents. some kind of phobia I guess) And when I got home I was complaining because my kids have been feeding all these stray cats and my yard looks like a cat sanctuary. PROBLEM SOLVED. Cats in trap......free ride to camp!

CB, it seems like you need to have an old fashoned rat killin. We used to have them all the time as kids. We used .22's loaded with rat shot and a bunch of us would get together and go through the grain bins. As we would stomp around big rats (squirrel size grain fed hawgs) would come out and try to run. We would station two guys at the ends of the auger pipes under the barn. Those big boys would try to escape throgh them. Made for easy pickins. We would use a plumbing trap / pipe cleaner to dig the dead ones out of the pipe. Some guys would bring .410 shotguns and patrol the outside of the barns for the ones that made it that far. Killing 50 rats in a day was not uncommon. Winter time worked best.

Hoss, we used to have a Rat Killin in my Grandma's chicken houses. We'd put on old bib overalls over pants and tie the legs with rope so they couldn't get up our legs, then put a water hose down any rat hole and start clubbin rats. Got 103 one day.

Burno, we get the same problem with Pack Rats. They eat the wiring out of everything is we don't keep them trapped and poisined out.

Latest posts