Cornering Rats

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Cornering a rat is pretty tough. They dodge, weave, jump and hide but if you stay after them you can finally corner them and catch them. I've been trying to catch a rat for the last month or so. Finally got enough information to corner them and counter their excuses and denials. Thank goodness for aerial imagery and recorded deeds.

Photo taken in 2005 showing a small harvest up to property line in blue. Remainder of timber was sold in lump to a large company.

2005.jpg

Photo taken in summer of 2006 after harvest was finished.

207-1.jpg

If you were Sherlock Holmes what do you think happened to the timber north of the blue property line?
Do you think it practical or possible for a rogue logger to sneak out on private property 3 miles behind locked gates and sneak across a 400 acre clearcut just so they could steal 5 acres of timber? (this is one of the many explanations they gave)

We had a state congressman here that hired a logger to cut timber off some ground he owned that bordered a state game preserve. They kinda went over the line, several hundred acres worth. I don't recall the exact numbers but after all the court action he had to donate quite a bit of his land to the state as repayment. I often wondered if the state got an even swap. Just wondering, why all the crooked lines, do they follow stream beds?

Probally long leaf pine, pole grade. Sorry rats could not help themselves, they probably won't be cutting any timber for you. Liers and thieves go hand in hand.

upfrombottom":37qvvdiq said:
Just wondering, why all the crooked lines, do they follow stream beds?

The inside lines deliniate different stands. These stands are linked to a database for inventory purposes.

ga.prime":37qvvdiq said:
Triple stumpage to the man north of the blue line.

I didn't go that far. I was tempted mainly because he wasted my time with the lackadaisical unprofessional manner which their forester handled the whole thing. In my life I don't think I have ever dealt with such an ignorant non-caring lazy person. To be the face of a fortune 500 company he surprised me. I named the price and told him if we didn't settle today then it was going to get very expensive so we settled. Some of the "excuses" and "smoke screens" he threw up were just a sign of ignorance. I'm surprised he didn't blame it on martians.

" I didn't go that far. I was tempted mainly because he wasted my time with the lackadaisical unprofessional manner which their forester handled the whole thing. In my life I don't think I have ever dealt with such an ignorant non-caring lazy person. To be the face of a fortune 500 company he surprised me. I named the price and told him if we didn't settle today then it was going to get very expensive so we settled. Some of the "excuses" and "smoke screens" he threw up were just a sign of ignorance. I'm surprised he didn't blame it on martians. "

chronic stupidity......
another reason all good men should be armed at all times.
thinning the herd should be a civic duty....

Look at the size of the small cut in the first picture. Its about the same size as what they crossed the line to get. Me thinks they bought the timber not knowing that piece had already been cut- and went over the line to make up the difference.
So in their mind its the owner that was unethical :shock:

Howdyjabo":1rtj8eay said:
Look at the size of the small cut in the first picture. Its about the same size as what they crossed the line to get. Me thinks they bought the timber not knowing that piece had already been cut- and went over the line to make up the difference.
So in their mind its the owner that was unethical :shock:

I dug around and came up with the owner's bid invitation and it clearly showed this piece was cut but if you notice the small piece bordering the line this was shown as part of the sale. Where the owner went wrong he did not mark the sale boundary on the ground and left it up to the buyer to do so. The actual buyer's forester admitted that he did not flag the whole line and stopped at the cut you refer to since he didn't think there was any timber past the cut. This was his fault for not looking at the sale map. To complicate things the forestry commission had plowed a fireline along the property line but when they got to this point they swayed well off the line and essentially plowed around the area that was cut and this is what the logger cut too.

In all there were a lot of little things that added up to this mistake but the monkey fell on the one who benefitted from the trespass. In all there were about six little things that added up to the mistake. I can understand these things and this is why I didn't get upset and just wanted compensation for what was cut. But the attitude of the forester in charge is what I couldn't believe. He almost pushed his arrogance and ignorance too far and had he done so three times the stumpage would have been chump change. I've sat in the witness stand once before over something similar and found a jury is pretty sympathetic to landowners when a defendant shows his arrogance and ingnorance.

Stupidity isn;t much of an excuse but it sure seems to be common

dun":1pkrmfqy said:

This is true. Whenever we sell timber we try to make it idiot-proof but there are some people out there that are down right amazing.

Jogeephus":2p6z5o6i said:
dun":2p6z5o6i said:

This is true. Whenever we sell timber we try to make it idiot-proof but there are some people out there that are down right amazing.
Remember that by definition, half of the people in the world are below average intelligence. I just wonder sometimes why I have to deal with all of them.

dun":1mvdx8ug said:
Jogeephus":1mvdx8ug said:
dun":1mvdx8ug said:

Remember that by definition, half of the people in the world are below average intelligence. I just wonder sometimes why I have to deal with all of them.

It could be cause they got lost in Missouri on their way to Georgia. We have a gracious plenty here and our numbers are steadily growing.

dun":22gzx4tp said:
Jogeephus":22gzx4tp said:
dun":22gzx4tp said:

It amazes me how fertile they are and how fast they multiply, but if you were referring to me, I wish to withdraw this statement.

Latest posts