Rat tail calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why rat tail calves take such a hit at the sale barn? I know what causes rats, but don't understand the discount by the order buyers. A small feeder in my area says he purchases alot of rats for his feed lot because they are such a bargain. I asked him about any drawbacks to finishing these calves, he said there were none. He said they were above average gainers and most had quality carcuses. In the past, I have taken rat tail calves strait to him and recieved the same price that my other calves brought. Is this another way for buyers to steal calves or is there a legitamate reason for the discount?

They discount them because they can. Will tell you they dont gain well and that their calves wont either but its balogna. Ive also been told once that b/c their tails are shorter they cant swat as many flies and have reduced gains in the summer b/c of it, to which i replied try using some type of a pest management program such as fly tags or a pour-on. anyway...

exactly what Beefy said it's because they can. Same reason they discount a calf with a white tail. They'll say it has longhorn in it so it's basicly because they can.

A few weeks ago I saw a group of nice angus replacement heifers go thru the sale barn, and they pulled out one that "had a cold start in life" and was a little short on ear.... .30cwt less because of that. I am sure it won't affect her ability to reproduce, and she actually looked kinda cute :p Once again it's because they can!

Calves with "a cold start in life" are often discounted (theoretically) because if they were exposed to enough cold to freeze the tail or ears, then they may have suffered damage to their feet or lungs. The latter problems could (theoretically once again ;-) ) cause them to have problems in the feedlot - more susceptible to foot rot, pneumonia, etc. Or, as Beefy said, it is probably because they can! :mad: