rat problem in barn

Help Support CattleToday:

tnrichie

Reaction score
have rats in our barn and poision isnt doing the trick for us anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the pest

tnrichie":222jh6ir said:
have rats in our barn and poision isnt doing the trick for us anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the pest

What kind of poison are you using?

tnrichie":183scda7 said:
The best poison I've ever used is a Pellet called Havoc. When you find a dead mouse,/or rat it'll look like it went to a taxidermist. Makes them bleed to death internally (anti-coagulant) Another trick if you dont want to use poison is get a plastic garbage can, put about a pound of grain in it, and place it near an area where they can get in it, like next to a stack of bales, they climb in but can't get out.

There is a product called Pink Pussycat that is very good One feed kills.

Set -up a bait station...Take an old 15 tire laid on its flat on 2 (2x4 s ) Put your poison, plus a dish of water in it and throw a small piece of plywood over it. Put a little grain with your poison if you have to.and keep it stocked.

Ferrett....who know the long rodent...neighbor told me to sprinkle ferrett dropings around the barn the rats will leave.
Or just turn one of those critters loose, I'm tolsd that they kill rats for sport.
dave Mc

All you need is a smaller sized Jack Russell dog. Two work real well together. They are rat killing machines. They dig fast and when you have two, no rats escape. They take turns digging, and they watch both ends of the tunnels. Some of the rats are almost as big as they are, and they will ball up on the dog's head. They start slinging them aginst the wall trying to get them off. They act like they are on crack cocaine. When they are finished with what they kill, they prance around with blood all over them showing off the trophies. I love to watch them work. They seem to get a buzz just when you say, "RATS!" I had rather have a snake in my house as to have a rat in the barn.

Agree with Chuckie, A Jack Russell will kill them until they're gone. A cat will only kill them one at a time.

When I take my Jack Russell to the hayfield with me he will catch field mice and put them in a pile. Then come get me to show me his trophies.

Not true about cats only killing one at a time. They will kill just for the sport of it more than they can eat.

Years ago the acerage across the road was leased to raise sweet potatoes. When the potatoes were harvested the biggest fattest rats you ever saw were on the move for something to eat. Every morning we would wake up and fine two to three dozen dead rats that the cats had killed. Wasn't too long before we saw no more rats.

Chuckie...would love to see that going on....BUT Geeees.... don't let Peta, or the Humane Society know your dogs do that...they will raise such a stink........they don't have a clue...trust me........been there seen that.......after all rats are lovable furry creatures that deserve to live rich, and fullfilled lives too. (to them..NOT us!)

Medic, I agree that Peta would be upset about my dog killing rats. But at the same time, rats are carriers of diseases. They bite and they are nasty. They destroy grain from knawing on it, and leaving urine and feces on it too. I am sure that the Peta people think they are adorable and soft. tnrichie could invite Peta out to his house, and they could offer their help in catching these creatures. But on the other hand....Here is a picture of Porky. I woke up one Sunday morning and thought she had been hit by a car. She had not been hit, but was doing the hitting. She is small, about 10-12 pounds. But gritty as they come. I had another one, Minnie, but she died a couple of years ago. They sure did a lot of hunting together. She now has Arlo, a deaf blue heeler. She hunts by eyesight and smell, and helps porky do most of the digging. She is getting good at it too.
MurderEvidence.jpg

Problem with feral cats AND domesticated cats, they mess with the quail nests. :mad:

peta or one of those organizations made statement that
a rat, is pig, is child" or something to that affect.

dun

dun":1i3eaup1 said:
peta or one of those organizations made statement that
a rat, is pig, is child" or something to that affect.

dun
I think it's,

"A rat, is a pig, is a dog, is a boy." - Ingrid Newkirk

...It's hard for me to forget bullschitt of that magnitude.

Crowderfarms":16nt5ded said:
tnrichie":16nt5ded said:
The best poison I've ever used is a Pellet called Havoc. When you find a dead mouse,/or rat it'll look like it went to a taxidermist. Makes them bleed to death internally (anti-coagulant) Another trick if you dont want to use poison is get a plastic garbage can, put about a pound of grain in it, and place it near an area where they can get in it, like next to a stack of bales, they climb in but can't get out.

For what it's worth, Ramik does the same thing. I truly hate to display my wimpiness on a public forum, but what the heck do you do with the rats after you collect them in a garbage can? Ewwwww!! I'd rather deal with fly traps!!!

Latest posts